1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Did I Ruin It? Coyote Fur

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by FishSpike, Nov 18, 2019.

1. FishSpike

FishSpike New Member

First off, love this forum. No clue why I didn't get on here years ago, this is amazing. Trapped and hunted my whole life, skinning most animals, with the majority being coons to sell.

My question...

I shot a coyote this Saturday morning. It actually had all it's hair and a nice looking standard coyote color/pattern. So I decided I wanted to have it tanned for display at home.

Tube skinned it like I do a coon a few hours later. Got busy and left skinned hide in my truck until Sunday, unfleshed. Now, I don't know why I did this, probably because I am a rookie at preserving hides, but I salted the hide with canning salt, rolled it up and put it in the freezer.

Called taxidermy guy today, explained what I did to make sure he would be able to work with it. He said since I salted it before fleshing the meat and cartilage off, he couldn't take it to have tanned.

I don't blame him at all for not being able to do it anyway. Not the direction I'm going, sounds like I messed up. He said next time just bring the entire coyote in, unskinned.

So, did I ruin the hide? Can I flesh it still and then go on with learning, or experimenting, a home tan? Or is it trash?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok never salt and fold and try to freeze a cape. It needs to be flat.
    since the taxidermist didn’t want it is a lazy one. All that needs to be done is for the skin to be hydrated so it can be fleshed properly. Now there maybe an issue but cotes are pretty durable hides to work on as I’ve never had one slip.
    Call a tannery and send it to them. They should be able to handle it better than your taxidermist.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. FishSpike

FishSpike New Member

This is good info! I had him do a raccoon one time, and it was so easy I just was planning to use him again. He charged $175 for a coyote, idk, seemed reasonable to me to have done one time.

I have never ever salted a hide before I put them in a freezer before, I have no idea what possessed me to try it. I'll say lack of sleep from coon hunting all night Friday, then being in the deer stand by 6. I have tanned coons, possums, and squirrels using the orange cabelas stuff. I did not like the results of that bottle. So I keep hoping to try a non premade method.

So if I just soak the hide in water for 30 mins or so, could I just start over and flesh it?

4. FishSpike

FishSpike New Member

Here's the coyote, as you can see, just your standard, nice looking coyote. Nothing special about it, just been wanting a coyote fur to display with my other stuff. I did a really good job of skinning it, only hole I was left with was from the bullet. So it would be nice to preserve the fur if it's still doable.[​IMG]

5. FishSpike

FishSpike New Member

And I am not asking how to tan it. I am just hoping to learn if it's worth salvaging now. It's in the freezer in tube form, skin on the inside, full of salt, rolled up like a sleeping bag, fur out.

6. Katie T

Katie T New Member

I'm pretty new at tanning, but I've done that with a possum and it actually made fleshing a lot easier. Try tanning it anyway, better than just tossing it! I'd expect it to turn out fine

7. FishSpike

FishSpike New Member

I have been wondering the same, I am imagining the membrane, meat, whatever else, will be a slippy mess when I get home, and will flesh right off. The more I read, and after just a couple comments, may as well give it a try. I'll for sure learn something new.

Katie T likes this.
  8. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    thaw it to flesh it. when thawed give a few pulls of the hair in the areas that were not fleshed. if the hair starts coming out toss it. the salt will keep it from freezing solid.

check the belly hair and the thinner areas around the eyes and ears, if hair is coming off, it will only get worse.

FishSpike and Micah Howards like this.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I salt coyotes as I skin them. Take your hide out of the freezer, turn it flesh side out and get it over a board that fits inside. If you have nothing else to scrape with, get a sturdy spoon with an edge on it and get busy. Scrape that hide hard and you will find a thin layer of fat and a thin membrane on most of it that needs to be removed. Get it all off as well as any tissue. Most of your salt is going to come off doing this. This will take a little while but do it in one shot and stick with it. Get it clean and let it air dry. As long as you get all the fat and meat off it will be ok. Try to turn the ears the best you can though they may have dried out a little so be careful. Once dried, you can package up a single hide and send it to the Wildlife Gallery. Look up their website and you will find prices. They will send you back a nice and soft, tanned hide for a lot less than that guy was going to charge you. There wasn't a problem that kept him from doing it. He just didn't want to bother.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Wet salted capes will flesh pretty easy, however, if it is dried hard, you need to rehydrate before fleshing as dried meat is like trying to flesh jerky from two year old beyond dry raw hide.

FishSpike likes this.
  11. 175 is cheep as hell. Yes u can save that hide flesh and salt it. Or send it to your tanner

FishSpike likes this.
  12. FishSpike

FishSpike New Member

Thanks for the input everyone! I thawed it out last night. It was in a half frozen state, could bend, but was pretty frozen. I have a fleshing knife and beam, I tried but things are pretty stiff and dry now, needs to soak for a bit before I try again. I pulled on the hair all over, other than some shedding hair that was already out, I couldn't pull out anything. I'll keep working with it, if nothing else it will be a test hide just to experiment on.

Thanks again everyone!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  13. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you want to mess with more coyotes, order a bottle of Stop Rot. Stuff is amazing and was formulated by one of the members on here. I've sprayed the flesh side of coyotes I was skinning (while skinning) that even had a green tint to the skin on the belly from sitting too long and never had any slippage at all. Well worth having a bottle of this stuff around for the future.

FishSpike likes this.