1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing A Possum?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Katie T, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Katie T

Katie T New Member

I'm fleshing a possum and I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like when it's ready for the tan. I'm worrying I'm shaving too thin but I want to make sure to get all the fat off. Sorry for the stupid question, but what is a possum/raccoon/fox skin supposed to look like when properly fleshed?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Get a beam and a push knife , it’s not real sharp and you are pushing the fat off compared to removing flesh . To see what it should be down to take a table spoon put hide on a table , now take spoon and scrape the fat off a small / med spot on hide , put some pressure to it and you will see the hide once fat and meat are scraped off

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Micah Howards likes this.

3. Emers48

Emers48 Member

Here is an image I got from valley_fur_shed on instagram. They do a wonderful job shaving down and getting all of the membrane off. The left side it the hide all cleaned and the right is without anything done to it. Valley_Fur_Shed has had a lot of practice, however, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't look that clean the first time you attempt it. With practice comes perfect :)

Attached Files:

Valley Fur Shed likes this.
  4. Thank you Emers :)

Katie, here is a pic of a fully fleshed/shaved opossum and a before and after of the face to give you an idea of what it should look like when it's ready to degrease and tan. Skin should be smooth and white. DSCN8827.JPG DSCN8858.JPG

1stturkey and Emers48 like this.
  5. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Even turned the ears. Very impressive!

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A pressure washer will melt all that fat off in about 60 seconds.