1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alternative To Dollar Store Flat White Spray Paint

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by gill1, Nov 19, 2019.

1. gill1

gill1 Member

ny
    I have been using the Miracle Dollar store flat spray paint for touch ups for years on skulls with great success and it is no longer being made in the flat white. It was the best and cheapest stuff I could find and didn't look painted. Any suggestions of another "cover up paint" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy New Member

I've noticed that flat white and black are not on shelves any longer. not sure why, our local walmart had them for .98 a can, but not any longer.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

My opinion get and airbrush and mix your own paint colors. It’s way better.

4. Great Skulls

Great Skulls New Member

At the risk of pissing everyone off... what on earth are you using paint for? If you are properly cleaning skulls, then you should never need paint! The only time paint should be involved is if you are fixing a missing or broken part. If you are covering grease or stains or something like that, then you really aren't actually cleaning skulls properly. No top quality cleaner (e.g., museums, Skulls Unlimited) would ever use paint.

Simond, LilyDay and 13 point like this.
  5. gill1

gill1 Member

ny
    Great Skulls I totally agree I dont use it for painting the entire skull, but for touching up skulls and covering stained spots it made it easier and blended pretty good. I used to airbrush those areas but was more time consuming. I would use 1 can of spray per 200 skulls a year. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you paint over grease, it eventually comes through and looks like crap. Will be long out of your hands when it does, but it will. I know someone on here loved the dollar store paint but it was just to cover a quickie job that wasn't completed. Grease will come out if you take the time. The other stain could be a brown/tan/yellow orange stain from iron and that can be removed as well with a soak in Iron Out. It's an extra step or a little more time but it eliminates the paint entirely.

13 point likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Wal-Mart handles only the "Color Place" house brand paints in Gloss white and Gloss Black for a buck a can. I suppose Krylon took issue with their lower price alternatives. The new paint orifices totally suck on all paints except the old favorite cheap ones. I spent more time unclogging paint cans than I want to remember. I only mist dark places on skulls with an airbrush using Polytranspar Superhide White, or Bass Belly Yellow.

8. gill1

gill1 Member

ny
    Thanks joeym and sea wolf for the feedback. Appreciate it.