1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota 4 Or Dakota 5??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Whiteteal80, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Whiteteal80

Whiteteal80 New Member

im looking to buy a dakota flesher , is the 5 worth the 200$ extra only to shave deer and small game ,,, i currently run a quebec wheel ???

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off what’s wrong with your Quebec?
    If I was looking for a new one I would look into what tanneries use. Their around the same price but designed much better.
    Those micro adjustments are ( IMO) worthless once you learn on how to tune your blade.

MixedupMel and George like this.

3. Whiteteal80

Whiteteal80 New Member

the qubec is not mine, i use it when i need ,,so what other machine should i check out ,,? it looks like the dakota 5 has good reveiws?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If had the choice of the two, the Dakota Pro or Dakota 5, I'd get the Pro. If I had the choice of the spectrum of fleshing machines, I would get the best I could buy. I went into debt to get mine and never regretted it as it quickly paid for it's self.

pir^2h likes this.
  5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There is the line of Dakotas, S&S, and many from the supply companies. Research well before you buy.

6. Get the 5 the 4 is a detailflesher smaller blade,get the 5 and you can learn to detail with it also.

George likes this.
  7. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

I don't know anyone that's figured out how to tune the blade! Could you shed some light on this please? Obviously it can be done, but it's black magic! Haha

8. There a video on you tube by a former member Hudson shows how to tune your blade

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Listen to Tanglewood. He knows what he is talking about. I purchased a Dakota IV because it was all I could afford at the time and I didn't want to go into debt. I regret this decision now. I have shaved skunks to lifesize bears with the IV but I suspect the later would have been much easier with a better machine.

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  10. Frank E. Kotula

Tuning a blade is using your steels to turn up the blade or down to control what you take off.
    Your Quebec is fine.

Sam 10November1775 likes this.
  11. Rgvmelb

Rgvmelb Member

That l understand, but no idea how to do it. Doesn't seem to make any difference on what's coming off when l'm shaving.

Great videos, I leaned a lot from them! But still leaves me guessing a few things unfortunately.

12. Shaving or fleshing like most things in taxidermy is alot of trial and error.

13. Frank E. Kotula

Yes it does take time and skill to learn thus as you don’t learn overnight or in one season unless your working for a tannery.
    When I got my eager beaver 19 yrs ago I was in the same position. I saved every back hide and pickled and shaved them to learn how to use my machine.
    played with my guards , found what I liked in setting them up as to where I get a better cut to my safe shaving area. It’s the way pros have it set up. Lower end of the guards is normal and if I need a deeper cut I’ll go higher up the guard. Having a different machine isn’t going to make a difference in what your doing, it’s practice and a sharp blade. A beginner may get 50-100 shaves before you need a new grind cause of your learning process. You’ll get to a point to where 250-300 per grind cause you learn to keep it sharp at all times . It’s just a learning process on any fleshing machine.
    If your lucky to know someone who does a lot they may help you. The person I’ve helped hates my machine as my blade scares him on how sharp I keep it. you work less with a sharp blade than a semi sharp one but it comes in time
    Practice and enjoy

MixedupMel likes this.