1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Great White Tail Reference Photo

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Joe Kish, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    Here's a photo from the back cover of the Jan.- Feb., 2019 issue of Sports Afield Magazine.
    It an ad for Gordy and Sons Outfitters. It's a great reference picture of a live deer showing two features that caught my attention. I'm referring to the set of the eyelid and the noticeably flat chin. The eye in particular gives a very relaxed expression, one which isn't often or rarely done in mounts done by everyone. We all seem to choose (me too) a more alert expression to the eyes. As for the flat chin, I don't recall if I ever modeled one that flat, preferring to beef it up a little to accommodate the let-out skin when that part of the cape is shaved down. I also noticed that none of the anatomical features like the facial muscles much less the veins show on a winter haired deer. Here's a death mask I made of a Texas whitetail along with a photo of what I consider a superb whitetail form by Mike Frazier, which is as good as a whitetail form gets.

What's your observations as to what this expression conveys to you?

I credit this use of Sports Afield content to fair use for educational purposes.

white tailed deer.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Talltinelee

Talltinelee Member

Georgia
    To me the expression says, I’m depressed and tired of this crappy weather! Haha.

I like a bit more of a relaxed eye but, like you said I’ve never sculpted my eyes that relaxed. Great reference. Thanks.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Your ear butts are to fat a judge told me once.

4. Nice picture Joe, Thanks, but I bet a mount like this with unruly hair, no veins, and very little muscular showing would probably not do good in competition.

Lance.G likes this.