1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unscented Clear Dawn????

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BBCS, Nov 21, 2019.

1. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I'm just getting started in the skull cleaning business and from what I have read searching these threads it looks like I need to use unscented clear dawn dish liquid for the degreasing process. I have looked high and low and even looked on Dawn's website and can not find clear unscented dawn. What should I use?

13 point likes this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Any Dawn will work. I mostly use the blue and only very rarely have I ever had an issue with a blue tint and it is easily fixed. Most Dawn is unscented but I would look for that in preference to any scented one. I have bought clear when I found it and even the one with peroxide. Dawn is recommended because it seems to be more concentrated and more cost efficient as far as supplies are concerned.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. I buy my clear dawn at walmart

4. BBCS

BBCS New Member

Thanks guys. I'm planning on using peroxide (reduced to about 9%) to whiten. Will that take care of the occasional blue tint? How long should I soak a skull in 9% peroxide?

5. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I have used 27% peroxide on skulls when they have some oil in them and that doesn't even get rid of it. it will make everything real white except for that. But if you use that be extremely careful, always use eye protection and rubber gloves.

6. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I'm planning on putting the skulls in a container with water and dish liquid heated to 120 degrees, changing the water when needed, for about a week. Then I'll whiten with the 9% peroxide solution. I'm just not sure how long I should leave the skull in the peroxide.

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i leave mine in a couple of weeks if not longer.

8. Sea Wolf

If you are doing deer, then 120 degrees is correct. If you do other animals, lower it to 115 degrees. Keep the skulls in the detergent until they are done and it most likely will take longer than a week. You can leave a skull in peroxide for a couple of days and it won't hurt anything. You don't need to dilute your peroxide. Soak the skulls in it as is just keep the container of it covered and in as little light as possible. Sunlight helps to break it down faster. I have a 5 gallon bucket of peroxide that can last over a year and through many skulls going through it before it is too weak to use anymore.

9. Sea Wolf

In many years of doing skulls, I have seen a blue tint twice on single skulls. Chances are you will never see it. How strong is the peroxide you are diluting?

10. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I have 27% peroxide that I was planning on cutting down to around 9%. But it sounds like I can leave it full strength. Thanks for all of the great information!!

11. Sea Wolf

27% is the pool grade stuff. Read the sticky post at the top of this column. Do NOT allow it to splash into your eyes or you will be permanently blinded. It is classed as hazardous and you need to be careful with it. I use it frequently. Just be smart with it.

12. Sometimes i use 100per peroxicide for about a six hr soak on stubborn skulls, works great esp bear

13. Sea Wolf

Hoping you don't mean 100% as you can't get that. You can get 35% and that is extremely hazardous if you are careless with it. 80% and above is rocket fuel and dangerously unstable.

14. No i get 100 per , super potent i also mix it with the vol 40 to a paste that works wonders , i think that method is safer then submerging in the liquid form

15. Sea Wolf

Submerging a skull in peroxide won't hurt it at all. Always best to do to sterilize it inside and out. It will also dissolve out small bits of any missed tissue. I have soaked skulls for a day or two or three in it with no issues so 24 hours won't hurt it at all. Pasting will just whiten the outside surface and does maybe save on peroxide use. Though I have a 4 gallons in a bucket that has done well over 100 skulls and it still works fine. If you submerge antlered skulls you just make more work by now having to restain the antlers where they get whitened. They can be submerged but in a shallower container.