1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who Makes The Best Silkspan??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Nov 23, 2019.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I am pretty disappointed with the last few orders of Silkspan that I have gotten lately. Glue will not soak in as readily and always get wavy fins. Even after sealing fins with several coats of lacquer first. The stuff I used to get years ago gave me beautiful straight fins everytime.
    I think maybe some as thin as I can find would work better than what I have on hand.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Most are using lens cleaning paper. Can’t really buy the good poop anymore

3. hambone

hambone Active Member

John C is that more like the silkspan we use to get?

Beltonbanger likes this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
  5. Looks just like it!!!! I ordered it last year!

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Silk span and ModPodge are just dated in the evolution of good fish taxidermy. Paul Borkowski clued me into lens paper a decade or so ago and I never went back. Flexfin or Finflex (don't recall right now) with lens paper gives you an excellent fin backing along with the extra strength you need. Once dry, you can take a lighter and burn the edges, quickly extinguish it, and then brush it down with a fine bristle brush to give you an excellent re-creation of the natural fin.

msestak and FishArt like this.
  7. There are different weights of silkspan. I buy the lightweight.

msestak likes this.
  8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Lens cleaning tissues work excellent

msestak likes this.
  9. hambone

hambone Active Member

Is there one brand that works better than others and where do you buy it, I tried it and didn't care for it.

10. I bought what ever McKenzie sells as silk span and use it with tuf-fin. Never had a problem with fins getting wavy or discolored or anything. I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know how the old stuff was. To use the new stuff I do a coat of tuf-fin, let dry, cut and shape my silk span attach it to the back the fin, add another coat over top of it and on the other side the fins. Let that dry then add 2 other coats of tuf-fin. I do not use and laqucer on my fins to pre seal them.

11. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I've been using "End Wraps" from a beauty supply store.

12. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Thanks George, will try burning the ends. I've watched it being done but haven't tried it myself yet. I love the looks of natural fins. Also, Might try one coat of DermaGrip Fin Glue first then Silkspan or lens tissue.
    Thanks for the tip on the "End Wraps" Rich, I'll look into that. I buy my Acetone at a beauty supply store for fletching my arrows.

msestak likes this.