1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning And At Home Tanning Procedure Tips

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by taxidermyjr, Nov 25, 2019.

1. taxidermyjr

taxidermyjr New Member

Hello everyone,
    My name is Jack Mulgrew and I am the Biology Curatorial Assistant for Bridgewater State University, in Bridgewater, Massachusetts. My job is to work with a professor and help preserve specimens that have been donated to her collection. Growing up around taxidermy and even doing some of it with my father I know some of the basic skills but, I was so young that he took care of the skinning for me. We also sent all of our hides out to a tannery to be done so that is something that I have been researching affordable ways to get that done ourselves. Any products or tips that you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.

wshooks likes this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Answers in tanning for ya

3. Emers48

Emers48 Member

I highly recommend using Rittles EZ-100 to tan. I have used it on many different species with results that mirrored professional tanneries.

Micah Howards likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Search the supply companies for tanning DVDs. Also look at Taxidermy Training Unlimited. Ozark Woods has a Skinning and tanning of a bobcat DVD.

Get the Breakthrough Tanning Manual from McKenzie supply company.

Micah Howards likes this.