1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Case Skinned Mounting And Ear Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by PegLegFerret, Dec 2, 2019.

1. PegLegFerret

PegLegFerret New Member

Hello!
    I am trying taxidermy for the first time. I have my skunk pelt, my leather needles and pins, some tools for tucking and some good braided fishing line as thread. My form, hide paste, critter clay, and eyes are on the way. I don't think I'm missing anything.

The skunk is case skinned. Should I cut the legs off the form and stick it in, then secure the form again with glue? Or how would it be done to get the pelt on the form?

Also, my plan for the ears as of now is to roll some of the clay very thin and shape it into an ear ish shape, stick that inside the ears and make sure it's all shaped how I like it, then stick pins behind the ears to sort of keep them from laying back. Will that work?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Use Appoxie Sculpt as an ear liner instead of clay.

There is a tutorial on case skinned mounting in the tutorial section. It's for a squirrel, but the method is the same regardless of the critter.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I remove the front legs on the mannakins on case skinned animals and secure with bondo and a dry wall screw. I know it's hard to visualize, but you just roll the skin towards the head and you have room to attach the leg with a screw.

4. PegLegFerret

PegLegFerret New Member

Would you recommend going with like, pink sculpt for a more realistic/natural/flesh colored look or will it not show through?

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have never done a skunk before, so I don't know what color the inside of the ear is, however, it wouldn't hurt. I have always painted the inside of ears, so I just used what ever color I had.