1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buffalo Beetles Vs True Dermestid

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Simond, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Simond

Simond New Member

Nd
    I just bought 1,000 buffalo beetles, how are these different than Dermestid beetles?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What you bought, in reality, are mealworms. They are not dermestids nor are they related. They will clean bone to an extent and then they will damage it .. unlike dermestids. You should be able to search the archives on here for cleaning skulls with mealworms and see many responses as to why you shouldn't. If mealworms were good at cleaning skulls, there would be a huge number of people/professionals using them to do so ... and there aren't. They are better suited for reptile/bird food and fishing bait. They eat grains by choice, not flesh.

3. Simond

Simond New Member

Nd
    Thank you for the info as always, Sea Wolf. So if I add Dermestids and only feed them meat will the eventually outcompete the buffalo beetles?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would imagine so. Use a proper bedding and temperature for the dermestids. But the larva of one will eat the larva of the other. If you are going to get dermestids, set up for them exclusively and use the mealworms as bait .. or sell them as bait/reptile food on eBay and maybe make a small profit. Take the mealworms and put them in a bucket with a thick layer of bran/oatmeal mixed on the bottom. Take a couple of potatoes and cut them in quarters and set them down a little under the surface of the cereal and just let them be. Change out the potatoes as they dry out. You will soon have more mealworms than you know what to do with. If you have a local pet store that has birds or reptiles you can probably also sell to them.