1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tricks Of The Trade (gameheads)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Hurricane Harvey, Dec 5, 2019.

1. This is a thread to post any kind of tips or tricks of any part of mounting deer and gameheads to help make all taxidermists' lives a little easier. Also post cool tools that you use a lot. Thanks to everyone who posts!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Micah Howards likes this.
  2. krollh

krollh Active Member

I use a 1/4" wood chisel for around the antler burrs when caping out deer. Once you get used to it it's a time saver and does a good job.

3. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

When using bondo for the ears, I mike the bondo, add some fiberglass chop and place the mix on a sheet of wax paper, close to the corner I have cut off at a 45 degree angle. Than I wrap it as a pastry cone. I fold the ear down a bit, slide the point of the cone in the ear and squeeze in the bondo.
    No mess !!!

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

WINDEX, for everything, bondo won’t stick to it so spray ear hair with it to clean up , rolls blood off of antlers in seconds, spray on seam after sewing to get glue out and groom . Use it to clean eyes with paper towel and tooth pick .

I use a big flathead screw driver and a small hammer to detach hide from around burrs . Make cut over to burr take SD and tap it with hammer walking it completely around burrs, it pries it away not cutting it , very fast and efficient.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. Clovis Point

Clovis Point New Member

I use cattle ear tags to mark all my capes... I punch them through at the very bottom and always put them dead center of the back. I have found that it helps guide me and keep my work centered when pulling and taxing hide as well as fleshing by providing a point of reference.

I take the direction of turn the customer choose into account when making my Y cut and will make my incision ever so slightly to that side so it will be less visible to the viewer. A Some one standing on the right side of aLT mount can’t see my seam because it’s below the horizon on the left side.

tem and Micah Howards like this.