1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keep Bird Skin Pliable

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by belizab, Dec 9, 2019.

1. belizab

belizab New Member

Hello!
    I am new here and i have a question.

Is there any way to preserve and keep a bird skin (with feathers on it) pliable? I don't want to mount it, just keep the skin.
    I want it to remain flexible in some way.
    I understand borax will dry the skin out completely, right? So it will be brittle and inflexible.
    Is there any way to keep the skin flexible without the use of bird tan solvents?
    I read somewhere vinegar+water+i don't know, which would work, but i don't know what to mix to vinegar etc.
    I am willing to experiment or take risks, so if possible can you tell me some household materials to work with for this? Read about oils too. I am more interested in the old, traditional way of making this not the too modern chemical way.
    Bird skin tanning in traditional way maybe? Or anything that will keep it flexible enough.

Thanks!

2. notbuffalobill

notbuffalobill New Member

hey, did you ever figure out about this?

3. Eliana Rose

Eliana Rose New Member

Once you have fleshed, washed, and fluffed your feathers. Let the skin air dry until its about half of the way dry. Then you can rub on some glycerin, it will keep the skin pliable. Apply it in small amounts. If you get the glycerin on the feathers, just spot clean it with water. I'm sure there are other ways, but this is the only way I have tried so far. This way will keep the skin somewhat pliable, but I have never seen a bird skin tanned in a way where it stays 100% pliable. I think its just the nature of bird skin, its not really going to tan the same way as a mammal would.

WinterHouse likes this.