1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Master Blend

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by hambone, Dec 9, 2019.

1. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

I,m getting ready to order some needles for injecting MB and was wondering how small you can go for like injecting wood duck feet.

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I don't use Masters Blend, but I've talked to a bunch of guys that do. Opinions vary from 23g to 18g. You could go to your local feed store and get a couple of each and figure out what works best for you before ordering a bunch.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. hambone

I have been using 20 but wanted to go smaller and didn't know how small MB would work in I got some 22 size yesterday at tractor supply I'll give them a try, thanks for the reply, doesn't seem to be many left on here anymore it was interesting when there was a lot of input.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

22 guage is pretty small for a product as thick as Master's Blend. I keep my MB in the freezer, and mix in the syringe. I get to toss a lot of syringes due to it kicking before I get it all injected.

BrookeSFD16 and Micah Howards like this.
  5. hambone

I tried the 22 guage today on the wood ducks and they worked fine, its a new batch of mb and its been in the garage at about 34 degrees,I put half a and b in the syringe tilted back and forth to mix and just for fun I mixed a little a and b and stirred it real good and it set hard in 5 min. I put some a in a small cup and added the b on top without stirring 25 min later it was starting to set but still gooey, seems like you need to mix it one way or another to kick quick enough.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  6. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    I us a 22ga 3cc and do as you said mix half and half in the tube. I prefer keeping it in the freezer until ready to use, gives a bit more time to work with.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  7. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

I use insulin syringes .... Super small hole and yet MB works fine till it starts to kick ... One time use ...

8. hambone

Those syringes are small do you mix A and B in the syringe or separate.

9. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

I mix the MB in a plastic container first then fill the syringe and shoot the foot ... It only works while the MB is thin , once it starts to set up forget it .... If your hole is too big your MB will come out the needle holes so you need to shoot the foot and insert a t pin in the hole for a few min to plug it up ...
    I use other sizes for larger birds , the small syringe doesn't hold enough MB to do one toe on a honker . In general I use the smallest needle size I can ... Still yet to try the new MB , have some but not ready to use it yet ...

10. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

The new stuff ..... Is different .... For one of kicks faster and isn't quite as thin ...works just as good ... Although I ruined all the syringe tips I used on two sets of feet ... No worries ...

11. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

One thing that helped me was drawing the masters blend into the syringe with the needle off, then screw needle on, mix and inject. Seems like a smaller gauge needle can be used if done that way.

12. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Looks like you can buy the old recipe once again F984A6D0-CCDA-4565-9D0D-E0A3D4A145C9.png

13. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

That's cool ... I've only used the new stuff once so far and it still works the same but is a hair thicker and it kicks faster IMO although I had these in the refrigerator instead of the freezer . That may be why it kicked so quickly ... I like to put them in the freezer for 30 min prior to use so it kicks much slower

14. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Perfect ...that's Exactly how I do it ... So much easier than trying to draw through a small syringe needle ... Been doing it this way since I started using MB long ago ...

15. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I use 2 large syringes with no needles. One I suck up part A the other I suck up part B. Then I remove the plunger from my injection needle and squirt equal parts from each big syringe into the open end. Replace the plunger lightly, shake to mix, point the needle end straight up and press the plunger to remove the air. Inject the foot and suck up acetone into the injection syringe for a rinse out.

I usually get 7 - 10 birds per syringe before I have to discard it cause the rubber gets hard

I haven't tried the new MB yet!

Trevor Patterson and 3bears like this.