1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Christmas Gift Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Andrew Reynolds, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Andrew Reynolds

Andrew Reynolds New Member

Hello,

I am searching for a decent to good beginner toolkit to give as a gift. I am in no way, shape or form familiar with taxidermy, other than what I've read in these forums. I am really on the hunt for something impressive, I don't mind spending the money on a couple of essentials rather than a full kit. She is currently apprenticing, but borrowing everything. I am seeing one for sale on Etsy that looks promising:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/525532034/taxidermy-preparation-kit-for?ref=reviews

Also, this one that I was leaning towards:
    https://www.freetaxidermyschool.com/tools-kits/tool-boxes/whitetail

My only reservation is I don't exactly trust this "Free Taxidermy School." I don't think it looks like a scam necessarily, I just see that they haven't updated their website in close to a decade.

Thank you so much for any and all help!!!

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If it isn't a surprise, ask her what she wants or needs and go from there.

3. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

The etsy kit is a general biology dissecting kit.
    Van Dyke's sells a beginners kit that is specific to taxidermy:
    https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/K7119-P4790.aspx

I started with one like this over 50 years ago. Is she working on gameheads or mainly birds and mammals? If you could find out that would help us make suggestions. Joe

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. Andrew Reynolds

I would prefer it to be a surprise, but if there is no way around it. The problem is, I have a feeling she doesn't really know about superior brands etc.

MixedupMel likes this.
  5. Andrew Reynolds

This is perfect! They have her working on fish right now, but I know she has done heads and a full squirrel on her own. I really like the price of the kit you suggested, I actually have a bit more budgeted out if there is something key or essential that this kit is missing.

MixedupMel and socalmountainman like this.
  6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

If you order the kit request their free catalog. It shows thousands of taxidermy tools, chemicals and other products. This way she can start generating a wish list. Van Dyke's also has gift certificates. If you call to order the kit, the girls there are very helpful and might make suggestions.
    P.S. I have a spare catalog in my shop toilet since that is where i do my best thinking...

MixedupMel likes this.
  7. Andrew Reynolds

Thank you so much for your help!

MixedupMel and socalmountainman like this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    There you go, just about everything we do has to be taken apart first, that kit is a good start for that. I would add nitrile gloves, her size and a blood resistant apron and possibly an electric rotary tool.

9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    ask the person she is apprenticing under to give you a list of what she needs. then post it here and others can add to it if they feel anything is missing.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

FYI, the free taxidermy school you mentioned is legit. It is TASCO taxidermy supply.

MixedupMel and msestak like this.
  11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

12. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

A gift certificate is the best way to go in my opinion. Let the receiver decide which tools they want.

I would hate it I wanted a mechanics tool set and my wife picked it out and gave it to me as a gift. I would be endowed to keep it like it or not.

MixedupMel and msestak like this.