1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush Feathers ??????

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Flying Dutchman, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman New Member

Can you use the airbrush on feathers to cover up some damaged spots and the missing neck feathers on a goose ?

2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    If it's in the black a sharpie marker is your friend.

3. Flying Dutchman

Well this is what i mean this bird i shot in the head / neck when i hunted for them last fall and its still a young bird and was moulting at the time and it had lost quite a few feather and when i blow dried it there were some more coming out now id like to cover it up if it is possible IMG_5091.jpg

4. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    I would try a marker. Dont think it is going to fix making the neck look full because of all the feather loss on a early bird but It will make it not stand out. I've done it on a few small things with success but nothing over that much area.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  5. Flying Dutchman

OK thank you I will give it a try its my own bird so I'm not too worried I just want it covered up a bit if I knew this would've happen I wouldn't have mounted it but it happened during blow drying and it didn't seem to look that bad but now the mount is setting up its starting to show more I let you know if it worked

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Yes, they can be airbrushed. Go light, and go slow.

Flying Dutchman likes this.
  7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

To answer your question. YES!! I have airbrushed many a spot similar to that. Multiple light applications are best

8. Flying Dutchman

Thank you

9. Flying Dutchman

Thank you . the result pics IMG_5093.jpg IMG_5093.jpg IMG_5092.jpg everybody that answered my question I airbrushed the neck feathers and it turned out pretty good I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out and I know its not going to be perfect but the mount hangs up high in my faulted ceiling and its not that visible anymore

10. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Heck ..... Do whatever you need to fix the issue is my motto .... I paint feathers once in a while if need be ..... What sucks is getting red overspray off a white goose