1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crap. Forget To Do Final Set Around Burrs. Anyone Have Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Clovis Point, Dec 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point New Member

Ok first can we please not make this thread a debate about one of my methods and why I should do something differently? I’m always open to new methods and do often try them but right now my focus is on fixing this.... thank you.

ok, so I DP, use McKenzie hide paste, mache and clay on my skull cap and around my antlers I use the 2 part Epoxybond that’s the white and blue tubes... basically just roll out enough for a bead around under my burs and I push my hide up to it and kinda tuck into it a little.

well last night I don’t know how but I somehow managed to fail to do my final set of hide around burs. It’s been frigid in my studio (garage) all day so my clay and hide paste haven’t really kicked... ( I don’t know about my mache ) but the epoxy bond has kicked and with out that final tuck and set I have some gaps I’m really not fond of. Any suggestions as to how I can cover these while my hide and clay are still malleable?

the two gaps pictured are the worst of it.

Attached Files:

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

you can cut some hare from the back and glue it in to match.

Micah Howards and Clovis Point like this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If hide is still a little plyable take crazy glue gel and put around burr , then take an all and push the burr skin back up to it and hold for a few min , I do this all the time . If not plyable just inject some warm water on it till it is and glue as I described.

4. Clovis Point

Clovis Point New Member

Right on. Working on it now. Also (carefully) dremeling what useless epixybond I can get to out of my way

5. Doubled-d65

Doubled-d65 Member

PA
    I forgot one time as well mix the epoxy in a large syringe shot down around burrs taxi what hide ,hair as high as I could and used a large zip tie to hold in place.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

In addition to the glue, get some drywall nails...they are the sharpest nail made. They have a cupped head, and are 1 1/2" long. Nail through the skin into the pedicle at close intervals all the way around. They will keep the skin from pulling lose from the glue while drying.

7. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

If only the epoxy is set up, could you just peel back the cape pry the epoxy off the burrs and redo it ?

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Another thing you can do is to take apoxy sculpt and build your burr , sculpt it to look like the burr and paint to match burr/antler , I’ve done this on competition mounts and no judge has caught it yet

Clovis Point and Jon S like this.
  9. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    This is what I would try first. Any of these suggestions are good ones though.

10. If you use this method the nails can probably be cut off under the hair and left in place after everything is dry.

11. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I agree the nails are a good insurance policy. I like using ribbed 1”paneling nails.

12. Clovis Point

Clovis Point New Member

Thanks every one for the help. I got it back up pretty close.
    One time I broke part of a weird shaped burr while prying hide away... and after nearly an hour looking I still have no clue where that piece ended up so I resorted to this and was pleased with the results. Hadn’t considered the technique here but if any gap appears during drying this going to be my strategy, just add a burr bump or 2