1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Drying

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fishhead64, Dec 11, 2019.

1. fishhead64

fishhead64 Mount it right!

What is the best way and best grit

2. I use ground cob mixed with a little puffed or granular borax. If you don't have a tumbler an old pillow case works well.

3. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Blow dry. No grit.

4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

What he said ^^^^^^^^

Blow dry. No grit.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  5. blow dry for sure. JMO

bucksnort10 likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Ditto on blow dry. I can dry a turkey in 45 minutes with a hair dryer. It's time well spent

MixedupMel and bucksnort10 like this.
  7. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

Blow drying is great and my normal method for the last few yrs as I don't have my tumbler ... Say what you want but tumbler skins come out fluffy and look great after you get the grit out . My main issue with a blow dryer is keeping the skin moist , never fails I get the skin too dry and tear it ... I m getting a tumbler before I mount any birds this yr ...works best for me ... but everyone has there preference so whatever you like best is my opinion

8. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

You can always learn to moisten the skin after blow drying ...... : ) I use a paint brush with just a little water on it. Then dab it on the skin. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  9. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls New Member

From gas to towel to blow dry. I dont tumble anymore. But when I did, I used cob only.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  10. Nana65

Nana65 Member

No gas. I am putting turkeys in the tumbler for about 20 mins with corncob grit. Then blow drying. May stop with the tumbler once I get a better dryer. Ducks I just use the blow dryer.

bucksnort10 and Wildthings like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

By by-passing the cob grit you will get a cleaner skin with no grit stuck to it and the down feathers, so a little less messy. I have done it with and without grit and there was less clean up without the grit, but each way produced a great looking skin with fluffy down and shiny feathers.

bucksnort10 and joeym like this.
  12. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

I don't think you get as good a result without a tumble. You are probably gonna have to get a little water back on the skin regardless of what you do.

I like my 55 gal tumbler with corn cob grit. 20 minutes or so after a dawn wash and spin in the old washer that everyone needs in their shop. No gas.

The cob sticks worse where it is still wet. It also sticks in primary feathers, turkeys are the worst. Just makes you groom them more, toothbrush works good. A quick blast over with compressed air removes most grit, inside and out.

A pet dryer is FAR superior to a hair dryer for big jobs. Mine is a pet commander, it is legit, theres very few cobwebs around after using it. I use my hair dryer for little touch ups only.

Another factor is your water, I am on hard, high pH well water. Stealing water from town for the final rinse gets done occasionally.

bucksnort10 likes this.