1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Toss Out That Screwdriver You're Using

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by George, Dec 11, 2019.

1. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. I am training my son and he is worse than I ever was. He is learning the lesson of "everything has a place".

2. FACT
    3 inch (sharp) paring knife. Always cutting up towards the burr. Some pulling with with my best tool, my hand.

OPINION
    Screwdriver, or chisel is like using a weed eater to mow the lawn. It will work but it's not the best tool for the job!

STATEMENT
    If you can use what ever your choice of weapon may be, and get the job done. Hurray for You, Good job!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    MixedupMel, tem, pir^2h and 1 other person like this.

3. I bet George still uses a 12' glovers needle and beef twine to sew up his hides!!now we all know why taxi-net is dead!!

4. Paul D

Paul D Member

Ditto and for the same exact reason...lol.

And George, you are 1000% right. I come on here occasionally to admire others work and possibly help others get started. And seemingly every time the very first post I come across involves you standing on your e-soap box professing how everyone is a *&^%ing idiot for not doing this or that your way- with the typical copy/paste of text involving your 50 years of experience and a few name drops. The classic (for me) was a few years back when you provided a discourse on microbiology/slipping which was categorically wrong and that you clearly don't know as much as you think you do. I then think to myself same-old-same old/not worth my time arguing with this a-hole but on the plus side, he's old as dirt and can't last much longer....perhaps he will pass soon and so I check back in about 6 months. So yes I will let the door hit me in the ass/check back in a few months- when I return maybe you will still be here calling people idiots, maybe you won't.

5. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    So what do yall charge to mount a deer head? Oh and how long does it take?

Ron B likes this.
  6. My friends, I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
    I've caped 5000 deer or more
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

[Verse 2]
    Cuts, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption
    Pulling along the way, fighting that tension.
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

[Verse 3]
    Yes, there were times, hell yea i knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all, when there was doubt
    I kept skinning, and I stood tall
    And did it my way

Emers48, HammerdownAZ, tem and 5 others like this.
  7. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

It’s my opinion that if one is “skilled“ enough and “confident” enough, one can remove the burr’s skin/connective tissues nicely with either a scalpel, knife blade, screwdriver, chisel or any combination of above. You may gravitate to using the tool(s) that makes it easier or gave you the best result, but there are usually several ways to achieve this. Different strokes for different folks.

tem, Kerby Ross, Keith and 4 others like this.
  8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Agree 100% , but not if you ask God I mean George, it’s his way or your an idiot and wrong .

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

10. Pass me some !

swampfox2 likes this.
  11. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

LOL ! I can see you strumming a guitar and singing that right now.

12. Westcoast

Westcoast New Member

So how about those Dodgers?

Rausch likes this.
  13. Getting older is part of life.We are all getting old.What age is old ? how old do you want to get?If you could choose what would pick 50,60,70 ? why don't you think about it,and when you get there you are done.the only people that have a problem with age are the one's that think they will be young for,ever,they won't.It will take awhile, but one day someone younger than you will also have a problem with your age!

tem likes this.
  14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Now just why would you think you have to make an ass of yourself. Do you REALLY think it makes you look more important to try and insult me? Well, I got a newsflash. I refuse to be insulted by smart people or dumb people as you can only be insulted if you allow it. You didn't say it was "YOUR WAY", your statement was that you'd found that the chisel didn't work. You never added the "for me" in there. Don't even imply that I played "god" when that's exactly what you were doing in your statement to me. Several others have noted that you're very quick to give beginners advice when they asked a question. I think that's commendable and I never slander your answers like you tried to do with my post. In here, you see just how many people who'd never thought about using a chisel and several PMs over the years (I gave this advice almost 20 years ago before you found the site)of people who told me how wonderful the chisel was on Cape buffalo and aoudad. Many people DO use the screwdriver, but it's like people who still use necker knives or single action airbrushes, if you haven't made an effort to use the newer, more advanced tools correctly, then you'll continue to do it "the way I always have." Richard Christoforo is older than dirt and he still uses the screwdriver and hammer just like you did. He did admit, however, that he'd never much thought about using the chisel.
    So whenever you get over your wedgie, let me know if I'm still welcome in your shop. I wouldn't want to make a trip and get tossed out. I was 12 years old the last time I got thrown out of a taxidermy shop and old people don't bounce well like I did in those days.

OH, and let me know if I should bring my chisel.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  15. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Hey George, a question for you regarding chisels. (Call me uneducated on this vs. dumb, ok!) What is the difference between a chisel and a cabinet chisel? I was at Lowes earlier today and I looked at the chisels. They had a 1/4" chisel but when I asked if they had a cabinet 1/4" chisel the associate looked at me like, "WTF are you talking about?" At that point I just said, "Never mind!"

tem and Micah Howards like this.
  16. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Okay....just to make sure my memory was correct I caped seven deer today using a scalpel all the way through the process and nothing bad happened! And if my calculations were correct I saved 4.25 minutes on average per deer not having to look for a misplaced second tool! What about losing the scalpel itself you ask? HA!! Solved that by having at least 8 handles scattered around the shop so finding at least one has been reduced to under two minutes!

So therefore....I think this scientifically settles the argument once and for all which is the better method! I am not going to suggest that you are an idiot just because you may disagree with me (even though it is often a strong indicator) but if you want to be a science denier it is your right! I just report the facts!

15pt and Micah Howards like this.
  17. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Is this the Elvis or Sinatra version?

18. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You sir have lost it , damn near everything you said I did or didn’t say is in my first post #6 , I agreed with you bout the part of pushing a screw driver thru your hand and I basically why I use a small hammer now . Read what I said , not a fan on using a chisel on deer , elk and such . Never said it didn’t work or said it was a bad idea , did say what works for me . READ . Then you said ( Lame excuse) on post # 7 and started you chit , as you always do , So before you make statements about what was or wasn’t said go back to the beginning and READ , what was said . In no way did I knock or bash your post in any way till you posed #7 , I agree if you have never tried something different you should , as it can benefit you, again never said it didn’t work, I said my experience . I don’t no why you have to go off on people that don’t agree with you or have a difference of opinion. I’m not the only one that sees it apparently as you can see by there post . As far as being quick to help others that ask as you say others have said that , for one what’s wrong with that , and if others are stating that then where ? As I haven’t seen anyone complaining. So apparently your trying to start more turmoil. As I said I use to respect you and your opinions but since you don’t know how to respect others , I’ve lost it for you . I believe it’s best you don’t come to my shop as I don’t think it would be a pleasant visit.

19. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    I just hate it when 2 of my most favorite people cant along!!

20. Elvis
    Only thing Frank ever made worth a dam was
    Nancy Screenshot_20191215-074231.png

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019