1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Repair?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tnrandy, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

When we skinned this head the first thing we noticed was the nose was broke...thought maybe it might have ran into a tree or something after it was shot...don't really know...wasn't really concerned. The hunter did tell us the head hung in his garage for 3 weeks with temps up and down from 20s to 60s, so that might have been part of the issue.

We placed the head along with others in a pot and simmered as usual for 30 minutes, took it out, the nose piece came off, I figured ok, I knew it was broke so no surprise here. We cleaned off as much meat as possible and put back in water for 30 more minutes. After 30 minutes we pulled out and noticed the roof of the mouth was cracked down both sides of the bone and during the cleaning we lost the middle bone.
    I know we can glue the nose back on and we are going to mount the skull on a plaque so I don't think you will notice the gap in the roof of the mouth but I'd like to try and fix it to give the skull some strength. Any suggestions on how to fix this skull?
    IMG_7373.jpg

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would think the best you can do is to finish your skull and wait until it is drying. Glue back what pieces you have with Elmer's glue and also apply to any cracks. Clamp the skull so the cracks are closed and let it dry completely. Once on the board the customer will not be aware of the damage though it would be honest to tell them about it. Maybe you will find the missing parts in the meantime. It also looks like there are other large pieces of bone missing to the back of the skull. Hard to tell though.

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

Ok I’ll give that a try. Yes we plan to let customer know...we don’t have anything to hide I think the skull was damaged before we got it. We’ve never had anything like this happen and we did two skulls in the same pot at the same time and the other turned out great like all the rest. thanks

4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

One question. Do I whiten before gluing or after?

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Whiten all parts at the same time and let partially dry before assembling. If pieces have separated along sutures, get them back together while wet. Most times, as the bone dries, the sutures tighten up and lock things back into place. Once it is glued, you should be done with it. Get the Elmer's into the joints and clamp with furniture clamps or even plain (not colored) rubber bands until all dry. Small pieces you can get glue on the edges with a toothpick. Elmer's takes a while to set up and it gives you time to wiggle things around and make sure everything is lined up the best it can before it dries.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Zip ties work well to hold a skull together while the glue is drying. That gap in the roof of the mouth should pull back together.