1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Time Spent On Skinning And Prepping A Deer Cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Richs Taxidermy, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Just curious when you get a deer head in how long does it take you to skin it off the head and turn and flesh completely ,I'm at 4 hours ,seems like I'm a slow as you go person.

Micah Howards likes this.
  2. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

I haven't done many but it takes me about 4 hours to completely cape one out and to do all the other stuff you mentioned.

pir^2h likes this.

3. Yes I only do about 6 a year so not much for practicing speed

Micah Howards likes this.
  4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

It takes me about 20 minutes to skin and 1 1/2 to 2 hours to completely flesh and have a ready to mount skin...with no interruptions that is. I'd like to be faster though.

5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    what about pickling or tanning ?

jigginjim likes this.
  6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

That's my thoughts, tanning and how about shaving. Or this guy buys little forms that shrink down to 15-17 INCH NECKS.

7. Micah Howards

30 mins to pickle and tan maybe alittle more.

Richs Taxidermy likes this.
  8. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use dry preservative.

9. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

I knew when you posted the time ! That's the only way you can do it that fast IMO .

msestak and Micah Howards like this.
  10. Clovis Point

Clovis Point New Member

I DP as well, and I can get one short y hide separated from the skull in 20-40 minutes (depending on how much skinning has to be done on the neck and how much neck meat is left) but that isn’t turning anything.

when it comes to fleshing and turning, I’m slow. Well, I can do it quick but whenever I don’t take my time, holes happen. I split it up... I do nose, lips, eyes, face usually in 2-3 hours. Then I take a break, smoke a cigarette, put a stick f wood in the stove, grab a new scalpel blade and another 1.5-2.5 hours on ears to ass. I’ll usually go ahead and wash, tumblr, powder, touch up flesh, and bondo my ears before I set it flat in the freezer and go to bed.

I work in the evenings so start to mounted I usually have 3 nights per deer

swampfox2, msestak and Micah Howards like this.
  11. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

Ohio
    15-20 minutes to cape head out. 1 1/2 hours to turn everything and shave cape and straight to the tan.

swampfox2, msestak and Micah Howards like this.
  12. Falcon32

Falcon32 Member

Does that include tanning cape?

13. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No way . Not correctly anyway .

swampfox2 likes this.
  14. Micah Howards

Why not?

15. 13 point

It takes days to pickle then to thin on machine then back in the pickle then neutralize then tanning cream applied then then washed . All that in 1/2 hour . No way

swampfox2 likes this.
  16. Micah Howards

I don't have a fleshing machine to thin when I flesh it it is super thin already, and I don't think we were counting the days it is sitting in the pickle lol, I can do it in half an hour or a little more.:)

AZ~Rich likes this.
  17. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

30 minutes minimum to get the customer headed out the door,
    30 minutes to skin head, remove the antlers.
    90 minutes to hand flesh the face and turn ears.
    10 minutes to pressure wash the cape.
    60 minutes to wash, and tumble dry.
    20 minutes to shave, bag and freeze.
    240 minute total time.

Of course, I'm doing other things while the cape is in the washer and dryer. I tumble dry in an old dryer half full of dry towels. 30 minutes skin side out, then 30 minutes hair side out. After removing the cape, I run the dryer on heat to dry the towels before placing another cape in the dryer.

msestak likes this.
  18. 13 point

Hey bud I know your new to the trade and your working hard to be the best but I’ll tell you this get a fleshing machine ( not a mini flesher ) as soon as you can , if you really believe your get a cape “super thin” hand fleshing it , your kidding yourself. And one more thing not saying you are on this particular thread but there is a lot of noledge on this sight and sometimes you act like you know it all and get defensive when someone is trying to tell you something, sometimes it’s best to just sit back and listen and ask questions to learn not to be like my way is the best way kinda thing , if you don’t understand, ask for it to be explained to ya . There are guys on hear with 10 to 50 years of experience that can help you . As I said before I wish you were closer to MD as I’d help you out in a heart beat . Take care

19. 13 point

It takes me 1/2 hour to skin head as I make a small incision only the size of the skull , longer on time if I have to skin a 30 lbs neck roast out of neck first, as I will roll hide down to back of skull pop the vertebrae there getting roast out the go back and make my small Y cut to get skull out . As I hate to sew . Then 45 mins to hand flesh cape turning ears and such . I then rinse in cold water getting blood out , squeeze out and straight in pickle 15 min for that . After 3 days I flesh on machine 20 min back in pickle for 2 days , 10 mins to paint tanning cream on and such . Bag and freeze or after 6 hour of tanning cream on I’ll neutralize shampoo and roll in towels to dry that’s 20 min and lastly 45 min to hand thin face and pull ear cartilage so it’s ready to mount. I didn’t add it up but it like 4 hour of hands on , from raw head to tanned completely prepped to mount .

msestak likes this.
  20. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Skin the head flush and salt 45 minutes overnight next morning wash and into formic pickle

Dcdeerhunter and msestak like this.