1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Time Spent On Skinning And Prepping A Deer Cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Richs Taxidermy, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Yeah, I mean when I hand flesh it it is about as thin as I have seen capes done with a flesher (it looks like anyway). I don't mean to sound like that but it might come across like that, yup I totally agree with you. I have asked for advice on here in the past. yeah that would be nice. You too.

msestak likes this.
  2. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I dry preserve.

13 point and msestak like this.

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

20 minutes to cape, cut skull and clean skull plate. About 1 hour 10 min. to turn, flesh and have under salt. We ship most hides out for tanning.

msestak likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

The older i get, the slower I get. Fleshing really should not be a marathon. Listen to some music, think nice thoughts, and before your know it, you're done! I probably flesh 150 capes a year. It's just part of the process.

msestak, swampfox2 and Micah Howards like this.
  5. Falcon32

Falcon32 Member

I'd like to see a video of you fleshing on machine, it takes me about 1hr and I want to get faster

6. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

The op didn't ask anything about tanning the hide. I understood the question to be how long to skin off the head and split and turn everything. Nothing about shaving, tanning, etc.
    It takes me about 20-30 minutes to skin off the head and about an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes to split and turn. I'm not very fast but definitely faster than I used to be.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  7. Johnnyclyde

Johnnyclyde New Member

It does depends on freezer room how fast I do it

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If I could make that happen I would, I’ll try to record if it comes out maybe I can text it to ya . I will say this , I find the thickest spot on the cape , usually it’s the back of head/neck area . I then start thinning it out from there leaving face for last after I get the feel for that cape kinda thing and how much pressure I can put to it and how much the wheel is taking off . If I can help ya in any way, pm me and I’ll get back to ya

msestak likes this.
  9. johnsmith101

johnsmith101 New Member

I don't have a fleshing machine to thin when I flesh it it is super thin already, and I don't think we were counting the days it is sitting in the pickle lol

10. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I guess the time I take isn't off by that much. I just skinned a head last Saturday and it took me between four and a half and five hours to skin, turn ears, etc., etc., and another hour to do a rough flesh in my Dakota IV.

I am looking into getting a Dakota Pro but being only a hobbyist I am getting some resistance from the war department! Naa - Actually I am kidding about the war department, it is really me that is hesitant about shelling out that much money for a new machine when the one I got works; just slow. She tells me I can get one any time I want. Has anyone on here went from a Dakota IV to a Dakota V or Pro? How much difference is there other than blade size?

Vic

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

MY Dakota Pro is my first and only fleshing machine I have used. I bought it over the Dakota V because I kept hearing about and seeing on videos, where there would be fleshings getting caught in the belt. The Pro has a fully enclosed belt.