1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Euro Mount Repair?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by deertroy1, Dec 12, 2019.

1. deertroy1

deertroy1 New Member

I cleaned my skull sometime ago in preparation for a Euro Mount. It came out really good and is nice and clean and nearly white.
    It sit around now for nearly two years and before I got it bleached I accidently knocked it off of a chair and it landed directly on the nose smashing off the orbital bones.
    I have most of the pieces and they fit back together like a jigsaw puzzle.
    What is the best glue to glue them back in place bearing in mind they are small with not a lot of surface area for glue.
    Also, what is the best filler to use to fill in where small chips may be missing. I thought of Sheetrock 90 but I doubt it would work.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Use Elmer's White glue. It dries clear, does not yellow and is very strong. Take your time getting the parts to fit properly. When all is dry, take powdered baking soda and pack it into the missing spaces and cracks. Drip cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) onto the packed powder and it will sink in and immediately become rock hard. It will fill the gaps and is white. You can sand this smooth after to match.

3. deertroy1

deertroy1 New Member

Thank you so much for the info. I take it I should bleach everything before attempting the repair?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yes, but not with Bleach (Clorox). Never use chlorine type bleach on bone. Always only hydrogen peroxide.

5. deertroy1

deertroy1 New Member

Thanks. You gave me directions for whitening last year. I just used bleaching as a matter of speech. Hear is what you suggested. I just haven't done it yet!

"You can soak the skull and use paper towels to wick it up over the top and around the antler burrs without getting any peroxide on them. You can also make a paste with Basic White, wrap the skull with saran wrap after to keep it from drying out too fast and get that into a warm area or under a heat source for several hours. You might get a whiter white with the paste but it's not a guarantee."

Thanks again for all of your help.