1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buried Skull For European Mount

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Silvereagle34, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

I buried the skull, to get it clean. It is now clean but dirt stained. What is the best way to get rid of the dirt stain?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You may not be able to. Which is why doing that is bad for anything you care about. Best you can do now is soak for a while in a detergent solution of water and Dawn dish detergent. After a soak of a few days, scrub the surfaces the best you can with a toothbrush and a little straight Dawn. Get into all the cracks that you can and rinse well. Submerge the skull in hydrogen peroxide for a day or so to whiten it. If it is a deer, do so in a shallow container so the peroxide does not get on the antlers. That will be as white as you can get it unless it is now mineral stained from the ground. Peroxide will not remove that. If it is still stained you can try soaking it in a solution of Iron Out but even that may not remove all the staining.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. If you can't get it white enough there are companies that can apply gold, copper, or camo color to the skull. A company in Montana did a copper or bronze color on a bear skull for my son that turned out real nice.

4. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

Thanks for the responses. You live and learn.

5. Sea Wolf

Scroll through this post. Does the staining look anything like this? Was left in an ant mound in a red clay area. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/169079/ Scroll through the whole thread for all the pictures.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  6. Silvereagle34

Silvereagle34 Member

Thanks, Sea Wolf. I will give it a try.

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

:cool:

8. Sea Wolf

Always appreciate help thinking outside the box.