1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salted Hides And Tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by HogSlayer81, Dec 13, 2019.

1. HogSlayer81

HogSlayer81 New Member

I am in the process of tanning some salted elk hides (already fleshed, split and turned). I tan in house and never dealt with salted hides. I usually skin my own, salt and pickle before tanning (wet tan).
    Are there any extra steps when dealing with hides preserved using the salt method? Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Take a pound of salt to every gallon of water , so 20 lbs to 20 gal of water mix it well till salt is gone , put hides in , it might take a few days but keep pushing them down till they relax and become plyable

HogSlayer81 likes this.

3. HogSlayer81

HogSlayer81 New Member

thank you sir!

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No problem

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

For me as with many tanneries don’t use salt to hydrate a salted hide. It’s already salted and the more salt you add to water the slower the hydration process is.
    Plain water is all that’s needed.
    Now I won’t say the use of relaxers shouldn’t be used as I do use them to speed up the process but again thus is used for thick or stubborn hides.
    Most hides will hydrate in 6-18 hrs never seen anything longer that’s salt dried. Just make sure it’s totally hydrated before you pickle it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Tanglewood Taxidermy and 3bears like this.