1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Maceration Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tnrandy, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Well-Known Member

Setup my dry heat maceration tank last Saturday. This is the first skull we’ve taken out. I’ll have to say I’m very happy with the looks of it over simmering. So far this process has been pretty easy. I’ve got it in the degreaser now but it looks pretty good already. Doesn’t seem to have the grease like simmering. I’m a little concerned with the smell but that might dissipate soon. The antlers seems to be smelly. Anyways so far I’m happy. Thanks for all the help to get us to this point.

Attached Files:

Hurricane Harvey likes this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Once done, there is no odor. When you simmer, you drive grease into the bone and it is damn near impossible to get it out. When macerating, the bacteria consume a lot of the grease and many skulls need very little degreasing time. Just make sure to not handle anything out of the maceration with any sort of cut on your hands. Wearing gloves is a great idea. If you get that stink on you it is a bear to get off. For disposal of the liquid, I have a hole dug outside about 2 to 3 feet deep. I pour in the liquid and back fill the hole with hay to keep it open. No odor and the hole slowly fills in with dirt from the sides. I cap it off eventually and dig another hole. Go back to the hole after a while and dig up a lot of good fishing worms.

Would like to see pictures of your setup.

3. Tnrandy

I don’t have pics of ours yet but this picture is where I got the idea of using a a old freezer with a heat bulb. I have several different wattage bulbs so I can regulate the inside temps. Trying to keep them 80-90.

Attached Files:

4. Tnrandy

No discoloring yet but only took our first one out yesterday. Thanks for this suggestion!