1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting A Snake.

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Micah Howards, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

So I am thinking of possibly doing a rattle snake in the nearish future, And I am wondering how you would skin and mount something like that? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I start skinning around the lipline, and roll the skin back off the head, and sever the skull off when getting to the vertabrae. Then, make an incision from the vent up to about a foot short of the head. Loosen skin from the carcass to the end of the incision, and then tube skin from there to the head. Now, tube from the vent out to the rattles, and you're done. Kerby Ross is our resident expert reptile taxidermist, maybe he will chime in on some other tips.

woakley144, Micah Howards and msestak like this.

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

i often wondered about the Venom sac. wouldnt their still be some Venom ? wouldnt that be a concern when dealing with this.

Micah Howards likes this.
  4. joeym

Yes, but if you wear gloves, you'll be OK. I suspect that even if you nicked yourself, you'd be OK. When a snake bites, it pumps venom into its victim. That's not going to occur on a dead snake...just make damn sure it's dead!!!!!!!!
    Additionally, wear eye protection and don't touch your face while skinning the head. Once I sever off the skull, I invert my gloves over it, then toss. I put on a new pair of gloves to finish skinning. We can never be too safe!

tviper56, Lance.G, woakley144 and 3 others like this.
  5. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Okay, Thank you a lot!

msestak likes this.
  6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you can pull out the fangs also

woakley144, swampfox2, joeym and 2 others like this.
  7. joeym

Yes, correct! I detach the fangs prior to skinning the head. Beware...there are more than two. They are folded back against the roof of the mouth.

8. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I will open the mouth and cut the fang sac out of the mouth. have done 3-4 this way and never had any venom leakage. Like Joey said get the head off first!! Them it's just like case skinning any other animal..... just remember that if your snake is in a striking position to keep your cut low enough it will not show on the body.

joeym, Micah Howards and msestak like this.
  9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Micah Howards

Here's one I did last year for our show... this big boy was 57" long, 10" around and had a 2 1/2" wide head!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tviper56, joeym, Lance.G and 3 others like this.