1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preferred Pre-soak Before Drying?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BO-N-ARO, Dec 14, 2019.

1. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I used Acetone to soak the last few turkey I mounted. Dad gum stuff runs $17 a gallon!! I used paint thinner for ducks. Both seemed to work well.
    What is your go to soak, or do you prefer just going into grit before blow drying?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Bypass the gas/solvent and straight to the grit and blow dry.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I use Coleman fuel or its equivalent and then blow dry

BrookeSFD16 and 3bears like this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I use odorless Mineral Spirits. I just splash it on...not really "soak". One gallon lasts me 6 or so birds.

5. jimss

jimss Active Member

This is exactly what's kept me from attempting my first turkey. I've been leery of using gasoline and other pre-soaks. What exactly does the pre-soak do. Is there a way around doing this?

BO-N-ARO likes this.
  6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

tap water is all you need

7. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

With the turkey the acetone seems to do a good job with degreasing as well as displacing the water.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have never done a presoak on any of my turkeys or any of my other birds for that matter.

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

your wire wheel and washing in dawn does the degreasing... if you are using your wheel properly with borax...and your tumbler with cob grit... not sawdust ... and your blower displaces the water... there is no use or advantage to any other chemicals...old fashioned methods... or just being lazy with the fleshing and wheeling/washing