1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Milk Teeth?? To Leave Or Not To Leave

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BBCS, Dec 14, 2019.

1. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I'm new to the skull cleaning business (with dermestids) and kinda freaked out when I realized my employees are eating teeth!! With some searching (thanks taxi.net!!) I've learned that the "damaged" teeth are referred to as milk teeth (baby teeth). What's the general consensus .....let the bugs finish the teeth off?, repair the teeth?, or pull the skull before any damage is done?

deer teeth.jpg

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I don't believe the bugs are eating teeth I've seen that with simmered and maserated. When teeth fall out I put em in a bag and finish them like the rest and glue them back in when all degreased and whitened.

3. BBCS

BBCS New Member

I'm pretty sure it's the bugs. That is the only thing these skulls have been exposed to except the freezer. The teeth look fine when they go in, but after a few days the bugs are inside those front teeth. Take a closer look. It's like there is a tooth inside a tooth. Only the first 3 on each side. deer teeth.jpg

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You are sweating over nothing. Customers don't give a darn whether milk teeth are present or not...99.99% of them don't know what a milk tooth is.

5. BBCS

BBCS New Member

That thought crossed my mind....I'm just trying to produce the best quality I can!

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The bugs are eating tissue not teeth. Why would they eat just those teeth and not the skull? The bone is softer and much more digestible

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Bugs won't eat the teeth but they might loosen and fall out into the frass.

3bears likes this.
  8. While alive the deer's permanent teeth were gradually dissolving the deciduous teeth from below getting ready to replace them. When that deer was shot those deciduous teeth were barely held in with some gum tissue. The bugs have since eaten that tissue away.
    I am an educator and have replaced the deciduous teeth to demonstrate the two sets of teeth and the aging technique of deer.

3bears likes this.
  9. BBCS

BBCS New Member

That's quite interesting Kendall. How old do you think these deer may be?

10. Sea Wolf

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have a wildlife biologist coming by my studio weekly to pick up lymph nodes we collect for him as part of the state's CWD program. He says you must have the lower jaw to properly age a deer. That's where all the research has been focused, and looking at the upper teeth is nothing but a guess.

12. BBCS

BBCS New Member

That's great information! Thanks! I'll have to did the lower jaws out of the freezer and check em out. Thanks again.

13. You are correct that deer are aged using tooth eruption in the mandible. 99% of the skulls in my collection are complete with mandibles, so thought everyone did it that way. I then went back and saw BBCS is showing just the upper part of a complete skull.
    This is one skull I use to demonstrate tooth eruption. This deer was approximately 1 1/2 years old when it was harvested (note the eruption of the last molar and the deciduous premolars partially eroded in the front) . BTW, since there are only 12 premolars in a white-tailed deer, you will never find more than 12 of these teeth as you clean.
    https://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy15/bacula_photos/DSC05844_zpsm8vsrmnv.jpg
    Been too long since I have uploaded any photos. Should have not used photobucket.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  14. Sea Wolf

Looked at that, Kendall, and it is an excellent reference picture despite that Photobucket pastes their logo right over it. Something you may not see on your end. Isn't that misplaced in your bacula folder? :D