1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dwarf Caiman (paleosuchus Palpebrosus) Project Maceration And Articulation

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Aurelien-, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Thanks, but what should I do to remove all the flesh still on the cartilage? Alcohol bath first and scratch again?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Soak in alcohol and then scrape. If you continue to macerate, the cartilage will be destroyed. Once clean, whiten it and then pin into position and freeze. Let it stay in the freezer until it is completely dry (a couple of months).

3. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Hey, with this Covid around I decided to give a try at mounting some parts of the complete skeleton. However, I can't find any good reference... On the few posts I found on this forum, it's mostly skulls or general views, but no detailed view of some keypoints in the articulation process... Any chance you have some good suggestions with close up views?

4. Sea Wolf

I do not personally. There are others on here that may have a reference if they see this. You can try searching using Google try alligator skeleton, crocodile skeleton, caiman skeleton or the parts you are looking for. All three are very similar.

You may want to look up Jean-Christophe on here and see if you can contact him. His skeletal work is phenomenal and he may have something to help you. He works in a museum in Paris, France.

5. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Thanks! JC taught be the basics of osteology when I was working with him in Paris! I'll contact him!

If someone is passing by, and have a complete skeleton, let me know please! :)

6. Sea Wolf

You worked with him? How very cool. His skills are beyond good. Tell him he needs to come and visit here more often if he has the time. :)

7. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Yes, at the Museum as well! We spent some good long days dissecting really cool things! I won't miss to let him know that he should come back :).

8. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Hey,

Thanks to the few pictures I found, I already glued several things.
    I glued all the teeth in skull and mandible. Actually, although teeth are quite the same, there is almost no way to put the wrong tooth in the wrong hole. I have tons of replacement teeth that I may try to stick in the holes where it seems I have lost some teeth. But I am pretty happy like this! Maybe I will have to correct the position of the front teeth, but I will check that later.

For vertebrae, they are all drilled (1.6mm and 0.8 for the smallest ones) and put on a 1.5 mm wire. This time, I glued them all together. Last time I didn't glue them and some of them were rotating around the wire. I used wood glue. HOWEVER, I noticed that between some vertebrae it became orange, because it seems the wire is rusting! Maybe due to the glue, or because vertebrae were not dry enough???

I tried to wire the pelvic girdle but I can't figure out yet the final position of the pubis. I will wait for the limbs to have a bigger picture.

I glued back all the hemal archs, didn't know how to have a proper angle, position,... So I used a digital dissection paper published in Plos one to have an idea. Hope it's correct!

Now, I would like to put the ribs, but can't figure out how to do that. On the picture below, do you think it's the right angle, the ribs should be really horizontal to fit into the "L" shaped vertebrae? No angle towards the floor?

Also, what would you use to glue that? Wood glue is a mess cause it doesn't dry fast enough. Would you put wire whenever possible?

Thanks !
    90597945_643146269813431_7518115126642212864_n.jpg
    90625023_493066074698375_3224207596642631680_n.jpg
    90615545_214939893042518_1608205406830592000_n.jpg
    90474612_669231507146137_8161565995689836544_n.jpg

9. Sea Wolf

I would not have used the wood glue as it might change color and darken in time. If you do not have Elmer's Glue there, look for a white color glue (maybe sold to be used in schools and for home) that dries clear. If you can find that type of glue it would be better. What you might want to try is to use a very small spot of cyanoacrylate type glue. Sold here under many names but one is "Super Glue". Just the very smallest spot to hold the piece in place and then apply the other glue to the joint. The white glue also dries slow but it is very strong and will not discolor.

[​IMG]

Below is an old ligament mount so the rib positions should be accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Thank you so much SW!
    Actually, from what I have read so far, I thought the wood glue was the best because it's was not darkening in time... I will order some Elmer's glue then! Thanks! On some videos I saw osteologists using glue from the "Soudal" brand. A bit of glue and then a spray to activate the glue, it looked pretty strong and super fast, but don't know about the color...

11. Sea Wolf

The bit of glue and a spray is also a cyanoacrylate glue. The spray is a catalyst that gets it to set faster. The glue does set fast and is strong but I do not know if it will last years holding something together.

12. Aurelien-

Aurelien- New Member

Again, struggling with the limbs! Here are two pictures of the phalanges, left and right front limbs. According to the few clear pictures on google I should be almost there, but some phalanges seems broken, other are really porous and no articulation surfaces. Maybe some are missing as well. My books don't have close up views, that's more complex than what I was expecting! Sorry!

Attached Files: