1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rattlesnake Skin And Krowtann Problem

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by BCR, Dec 15, 2019.

1. BCR

BCR New Member

First of all, I’m not a taxidermist. I’m a leather craftsman. I was asked to make a belt with snake skin inlays. The customer provided the skins (from 3 snakes) in a ziplock bag... frozen... and I was told they were tanned already. To be sure, I asked for info and was given the name of the taxidermist that tanned the skins. I contacted him to confirm they were tanned and I was told they were tanned with Krowtann. Assuming all was well, I thawed the skins and hung them out to dry... only to later find them shriveled and hard as a board. Soaking them in water restored the flexibility... but fearing they’d harden again, I tried soaking one of them with neatsfoot (since it softens leather, I thought I’d give it a try). No luck... I’m left with an oily shriveled skin. I need a DRY, flexible skin to glue to a belt. Is there any way to fix what I have?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

They need to get retanned. Send them to a reputable taxidermist or tannery that handles reptile skins.

BCR likes this.