1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Joints Seem Yellow

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tnrandy, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

We’ve cleaned this skull and degreased for several weeks then whitened with BO and mix of vol 40 with basic white. the joints are yellow the zigzag joint and at the back of eye sockets. To me almost every joint seems to be yellow.

Attached Files:

2. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Member

I think it looks great. Natural. You should be proud of it.

Tnrandy and Hurricane Harvey like this.

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

The picture doesn't show it well, but the seams/joints seem to be yellow. not sure if there is still cartilage in there or not. This is the last of the simmered skulls...so far with maceration i'm not seeing anything like this. Just trying to figure out how to make it look better.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Degrease it better, simmering just facilitates the grease from other locations to migrate to the areas like that, where they accumulate. If properly degreased you can get that out of there, actually until you do remove it the skull isn't degreased.

Tnrandy likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Simmering will also leave tissue and possibly some cartilage in those joints which you may be seeing as "yellow" once it dries. The peroxide step will actually turn most of it clear but it does shrink up as it dries and you see a little color to it. It actually looks pretty good for a simmered skull. I can't say that I know of anything that will make that dried bit completely clear and colorless. As you have found out, maceration removes every bit of it. Tyhe only stuck bits you may find might be some small bits of really tough connective tissue on the back of the skull and that trims off very quickly with a scalpel.

Tnrandy likes this.