1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gnats Came In On A Deer.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IAtaxi, Dec 18, 2019.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

I run my shop out of my house here in Iowa and I had a deer come in early October that had gnats I didn't recognize on it. I just figured they'd go away. They have since thrived. I'm not sure what I'm up against? These are not your average gnats that hover over your garbage or kitchen sink. These guys dart all over and are not very smart most times can kill them easy. The scary part for four consecutive days I know I've kilt 20-30 per day. Its not like they are flying all over they are just one here one there and really add up. When a fresh deer comes in they are highly visible all a sudden, however. Trying to figure a name on my gnats/bugs so I can wipe them out! Any midwesterners relate?

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. I had swarms of gnats kill off 42 birds last spring. Turned out they are 'buffalo gnats' info came from a necropsy i had done at LSU. I had to spray permethrin a ridiculous amount so that i had No More losses. They didnt come inside and theyd avoid structures, swarming in open sunny areas. The bites hurt like a sumabitch and left huge itchy whelps. Ill go get the link to the article i wrote about them on backyardchickens.com

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

take a jar and cover top with plastic bag or cellophane held in place with rubber band .... push down center to form a funnel and punch a small hole in center... put about an inch of apple cider vinegar in jar and you should have them all trapped in a couple days

tem likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Here in the deep south, they are active year round. They swarm, and get in your eyes, your soda pop, your beer, and your lunch. We just deal with them as best we can!

MixedupMel likes this.
  5. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Bull Gnats.

6. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

After some late night research on the inter web I believe my culprit is phorid flies. Not liking what I’m reading about them either.