1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Frnknfngr, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Let me know what you think. This 24 lb. northern is what first got me into Taxidermy. After I cought it I checked local prices on having it mounted. After I decided I couldn’t afford it I looked into vids on doing it myself. The thing is around 7 years old now and still looking good. 8B281044-A54A-4D8B-A433-8228BBFA5304.jpeg

2. Head doesn’t seam to match the body,

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    One heck of a nice job for your first
    CL

msestak and Micah Howards like this.
  4. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

It was cought in the winter, belly was huge 9EEC515C-85C7-43F2-90DE-B82E599B70B2.jpeg

5. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thank you

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Don’t let folks discourage you
    Looks like you got some talent

7. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thanks again. Not in the least discouraged.i notice that mr.lake DIDNT post his first fish to show how much better he is. Plus this was my first fish I cought on a tipup.lol

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't recommend practicing on a beauty like this for one's first fish. But, if you are happy with the results that is all that really matters! Suggestion on your base/habitat though. Look at your rocks/shells. Everything is spaced about the same. This never happens in nature. I would add a few other rocks (or whatever) focusing on changing up your spacing and also use different sized rocks with different sized heights as well. You could use a larger rock or two in the front right corner of your base to try and balance things out compositionally. As it stands all the weight of the piece is on the left side. PS Also, Lily Pads don't stick up 4" out of the water like that either...

HondaXR250 likes this.
  9. Very nice first effort. In response to the comment that the head don't match the body, if you would have taken a stick or spacer and braced it against the top of the mouth and pushed the tongue down it would have given a better look.

Frnknfngr and Micah Howards like this.
  10. I'm in the process of doing my first fish.I hope it comes out half that good!

Frnknfngr and Micah Howards like this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Congrats on catching a dandy pike. I've never landed one of similar size. Since you asked what we thought, you probably shouldn't get defensive when someone doesn't blow smoke up your arse and states what they thought. I'm not going to critique your mount but I will ask does it look like the fish in the picture with you?

12. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

Great job on your first fish. All we can do as taxidermist is strive to improve with each mount. Your off to a great start.

13. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thank you. That’s the help that one needs in this hobby. I will take your suggestions and go with them. I did think the base looked unfinished. I guess I need to listen to my intuition also.

FishArt likes this.
  14. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Actually not quite like the fish in the pic. But I do see the differences between the two, color too dark,probably shouldn’t have belly down as much as I did, among many other issues. Did I mention that it was my first attempt at carving the manikin also. My thinking on this was to leave it as is so that I can also see how I’m improving over the years also. I do appreciate any critique on my work as I see it as a learning opportunity. As for my remarks I would like to see some fish Taxidermy firsts if your going to state that mine doesn’t look right. That’s all. I simply showed a pic of the fish after it was cought to show how big the belly was, and I didn’t purchase the wrong size head. It is the real head and my first mount. I now have 7 years experience at it and have improved a little.

Wally Gator likes this.
  15. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thanks. I’m still at it 7 years later and I hope I’ve improved a little.

Lance.G and Wally Gator like this.
  16. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thanks, i use that a lot on large mouth now that are belly down.

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    F
    For many of us this is not a hobby as you call it. As long as you learned from this and improved, that is the important thing. Carving fish bodies accurately is a skill that practice. I wish you well on your adventure.

18. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

I’m sure you will do just fine. All trial and error. I have done a few after this and keep them on my boat so when I see someone I know out fishin,I throw it in there boat and say look at this freek I cought.lol

19. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thanks again.

20. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

MESFirstWalleye.jpg
    Well, I hate to say this but this is exactly what 3Bears was worried about! Everybody's first fish has issues so don't take it personally. My first was a perch and it got tossed because it stunk. My second was a LM Bass that looked more like a coelicanth - lol! Also tossed as it too smelled from me not getting all the meat out. I hid the evidence - ha! My third was a walleye and I'll see if I can find a pic of that fish. At least it didn't stink!..... But, anyway YOU asked what people thought of your first fish! There was no prerequisite that one had to post their first pics too. Why would that matter what one's first fish looked like IF they're doing high quality work and they're qualified to critique other's mounts? And believe me if folks aren't experienced enough and their comments are invalid, somebody on here will call them out! Like most of us (and our firsts) we all THOUGHT our first fish was much better than it truly was simply because we didn't know any better! We couldn't see the issues only experience (and attention to details/reference) can provide to help open one's eyes to the many issues we all had. Truth be told your fish is probably better than many firsts, but don't kid yourself. It too has most of the same issues we all had with our "firsts". Everyone's first fish is a learning experience!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019