1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My First Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Frnknfngr, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Remember the fish is dead
    The belly is following gravity
    For a first you bet my arss hands down
    And if you carved your own body
    Standing ovation for your first

Wally Gator, Frnknfngr and FishArt like this.
  2. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Sorry if I offended anyone. I did admit that my first had issues.i am NOT saying mine was better than anyone’s. Yes we ALL are better now than our firsts. I was told to not let folks discourage you. I AM NOT Discouraged.because of one simple comment.

FishArt likes this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Gotta have thick skin in this business if you truly want to learn! One thing I've learned is that no matter how hard I try there is always somebody(s) that can do things better than I! I think if you go into things with a similar mindset the "not so PC critiques" will roll off you better! Good luck!

4. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

I carve all my fish manikins now.cant seem to buy one that fits.and so many people get offended these days. I never expected this bs.just reminded of why I hadn’t been on any forums in years.

drob likes this.
  5. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

6. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Awsum job on the walleye by the way. Almost looks like a reproduction.

7. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Awsum job on the walleye by the way. Almost looks like a reproduction.
    7FB40695-B64B-4228-8A81-A52888BC7C03.jpeg 7FB40695-B64B-4228-8A81-A52888BC7C03.jpeg 7451700F-2F84-4A91-91C2-B186797266C7.jpeg 7FB40695-B64B-4228-8A81-A52888BC7C03.jpeg 7451700F-2F84-4A91-91C2-B186797266C7.jpeg Somehow you got the idea that I was offended by a critique. I absolutely was not

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Do your best
    Aim high
    To heck with everyone else
    Join your local Assoc and kick their arsses
    Proof is in the pudding
    I was in your spot at one time and took best to category 9 years in a row
    It’s is up to you
    Do you want to be the best
    Or like the rest

Frnknfngr likes this.
  9. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I think you did an awesome job, especially for a first fish. I've mounted hundreds of bass, bream, and crappie, but never a pike. To me, it looks great!

Frnknfngr likes this.
  10. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thank you

11. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Very respectable

12. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Don't ask for critiques if you only want to hear how great it is. You get constructive criticism and you want justification that their 1st was any better.

Frnknfngr likes this.
  13. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

Thank you,very helpfully.

14. Frnknfngr

Frnknfngr New Member

My opinion, most people just want to argue.

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well thank you. I guess for my 3rd fish overall it isn't bad. But, 25 years later I see many of the beginners issues I mentioned earlier.

You'll find out that this website is fantastic for getting critiques - many qualified eyes. But, the downside is there is a huge variance in talent. I could post a recently done Walleye by myself which for all practical purposes would be an above average skin mount by most anybody's COMMERCIAL standards. Then, you have the competition folks that I'm sure bite their tongues at times even with a solid commercial mount. This is why there's such a variance of opinions. And why we argue so much - lol!

P.S. In time, paying attention to details you will see why that 3rd walleye (above) of mine is clearly not a replica. I'll just leave it at that. Maybe YOU can tell ME why I believe that? It would be a good learning lesson comparing pics of the two to see if you can find and see the differences! (PS, pick a molded fish replica from say Envision3D or Richard Benedict, etc. to compare!)

Swissfish likes this.