1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dnr Inspection

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by iowabowhunter, Dec 19, 2019.

  1. iowabowhunter

    iowabowhunter Member

    Ok maybe a stupid question and one I should already know but gonna ask anyway.
    So just had a dnr officer stop at my shop and get a deer rack that the customer might of took illegally. While here we chatted about stuff and before leaving he told me to give him a call next month and we would work out a time to do a quick inspection. He said it wont take long will just grab a few rack and match them to records. When someone brings something in I just fill out a work order invoice, do i need something else like a record book to fill out as well. Thanks
  2. Tnrandy

    Tnrandy Active Member

    In TN we get a log book and have to record information about the hunter and confirmation number showing the deer was tagged in legally.
    msestak likes this.

  3. 13 point

    13 point Well-Known Member

    Yea in MD same thing , when we renew our license ($50.00)each year we get a log book that must be filled out , and it even has a spot for date animal was picked up and left shop . Everything that comes in my shop and is in freezer must be in that book or show it’s been pk up . It ask for name , phone address , lic , tag or confirmation # and what it is . Water fowl is federal and must be recorded in another book and is also a different license then state . If we don’t have all our ducks in a row you might say , it’s a fine and possibly a loss of license .
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Tnrandy and msestak like this.
  4. msestak

    msestak Well-Known Member

  5. moonshine

    moonshine Active Member

  6. Frank E. Kotula

    Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

    jjennings.m and msestak like this.
  7. NY use to require license, but not any more.
  8. moonshine

    moonshine Active Member

    Thank you for the info
  9. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    If you intend to do migratory birds, you're going to need at least a business license unless things have changed. You absolutely will have to have a record book for migratory birds. Legally, all your DNR guy is allowed to check is your record book but he can match up antlers to work orders if you have them in open view. You can never have too many records. Not just for lawful inspections but for PITA clients who swear you've had their deer 3 years or you have the wrong hide on their deer, or their deer was "bigger than that".
    msestak, 15pt and rogerswildlife like this.
  10. jigginjim

    jigginjim Active Member

    I have kept records of all of my work for the past 8 years. it has help in doing euro mounts for guys, that have come in before as to what they had done if they don't remember. It may come in handy if inspected by DNR, also tax refunds.
  11. Randy

    Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

    Some dnr guys are nice. Some are not. The only way to keep records is to find out exactly what is required ans follow the regulations. I have computer software designed for taxidermy. I record EVERYTHING plus any notes that may be of help. Good records means good audits.
    msestak likes this.