1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hot Water Shrinks Your Skin .... Be Careful Not Too Hot

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Dec 21, 2019.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Active Member

I know Hot water washing is taboo but a few degreasers require hot water , .. I've found that hot water alone will melt the fat away that I missed with the wheel with no ill effects ..... I'm an outside the box thinker and always willing to experiment , like I said I was only using hot tap water in small areas and it really works great in those hard to wheel areas I missed ... I figured what the n
    heck why not soak the skin in the hot water ..... Man it really takes the fat off no doubt , but I've shrunk 2 bird skins so much they won't fit the body and more importantly the head .... Luckily they were my own birds but the mallard went from a lg body to the smallest and the head skin is gonna be a pain to get over the artificial head without tearing .....
    Lesson learned .... As usual the hard way ..... Anyone have a clue as to how to unshrink it ?
    Kinda kidding:) because I seriously doubt it but if so .... Love to hear it .......

Micah Howards likes this.
  2. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

The bright side you can add a little salt and pepper sense it is cooked medium rare LOL;):D
    Dinner!!

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Seriously how hot was it cause 98* will do no harm so I’m gathering your temp was above 110 and even at that temp I shrink lol.

4. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

I think rather than the hot water being the problem maybe you should look at the drying time and process after the water, sounds like the skin dried out.

3bears likes this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Modern water heaters have to be set below 120 by law, if I'm not mistaken. So how hot is your's set at? I use as hot of water as I can get out of my tap for my first wash after wheeling and last wash before drying, and never have any problems that others have complained about. No shrinking skin, no scalding feathers, no setting blood. I don't let them soak in hot water for very long and I rinse with cold water right away. I agree with hambone it is more likely your other methods or potentially the forms and artificial heads you are using, one size does not fit all. Measure carcass when skinned and replace it with that size.

6. Im a little unclear. Are you going from the hot water back to the wheel?

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you are asking me? The answer is sometimes, if I find an area that needs some more cleaning then I do I go back to the wheel. I do that as often as needed. Once I feel I'm done with the wheel the skin gets washed and rinsed no less than three separate times.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  8. I was asking the OPr. But sure appreciate your response.
    He posted "I've found that hot water alone will melt the fat away that I missed with the wheel with no ill effects", so since ive never been blessed with hot water melting fat away, I assumed he was going from hot water to wheel back and forth. I was curious.