1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dp Vs Tan Bobcat & Greay Fox

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by s7ducks, Dec 22, 2019.

1. s7ducks

s7ducks Member

Getting out of the art. I have 2 Bobcats and a Grey fox left to do. I'm seriously thinking of Using DP on these last 3 mounts to save time and not have to order tanning supplies. How big a difference will it really make on these thin skinned animals? I've never used DP on an animal but have literally mounted a 1000 fish and birds that still look perfect 20 years later. Some Geese I've done had thicker skin than the 3 animals I have left. Never has been a "Real" tan for fish or birds. Is the Dry preserve just rubbed on the flesh side like fish or do I tumble them like birds so both sides of the animal skin get preservative on it?

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I like the hair side to be dry. I have a tub that I DP capes and hides in. I lay the skin in, dump DP on the inside, and move the skin around making sure the legs and tail are coated on the inside. Shake off the excess, and mount. I have a raccoon I mounted 50 years ago that was DP'ed, and the hair is tight as a drum on it today.

Dave Byrd, pir^2h and msestak like this.