1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For A Good Crappie Repro To Try

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Dec 23, 2019.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

I have done an Archie Phillips bass repro so far and it turned out decent. With the current trend in crappie fishing, with the new Livescope units, a lot of serious crappie anglers are getting more and more into catch and release on their 2lb and larger fish.
    I would like to get ahead of this and start offering repros. Like I said I've only done one bass so far and I know an Archie Phillips is what it is. It was a freebee for a friend so I went cheap.
    Can anybody suggest who makes good 2 to 3 lb replicas and any suggestions on pricing would be appreciated. I currently charge 250 for my skin mounts.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Crappies that big your choices are going to be somewhat limited. I was going to say Dondi had some nice (smaller) Crappies I believe he sold the blanks to Jimmy Lawrence. Rich Benedict might have some that big - also nice blanks. Unchartered waters here but my next "Go To" would be Warren's. They also have some pretty nice blanks with pretty consistent quality. Don't know if McKenzie has any of the 3DArps that big but they're also nice. LCR's Premiers and Signatures probably also have a few big crappie blanks and altho some anatomical inaccuracies, still pretty nice ready to paint blanks. I'm sure I'm missing a couple but this should give you a head start.

3. Tyler erickson,world class replicas has a nice 16and14 inchers,2lb is the 14 doesn't say weight of 16,phone 605 691 1145

FishArt likes this.
  4. FishArt

I in fact just left him a message concerning a walleye blank I'd like to order. Anxious to try his blanks as they look very nice!

5. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

Have found several 2 1/2 lbers. That should be big enough.

6. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Waters by Klaus has some very very nice blanks don't know what sizes but like I said very nice

John C likes this.
  7. I bought a walleye from him very nice replica,not sure on his turnaround he,s got alot going on now

FishArt likes this.
  8. FishArt

Thanks for info. 6 weeks was what I was quoted and I have plenty of contingency in there but don't tell Tyler - ha!

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I did one from Lake Country a couple of years ago that was good. That said with John retired now I'm not so sure. I order a set of walleye fins to use on a massive European yellow perch (18 inches) because I didn't like the original fins. (Perch came from another source). They were full of air bubbles and imperfections. I should have sent them back, but got distracted with other things.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  10. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Yes John retired but all is still going smooth
    Talked to Fred back in summer and they are doing good

11. I looked into some of there replicas there very nice ,but some of them like the 15 inch closed mouth crappie has some problems,look at the white version

12. slabbandit

slabbandit Member

yea, that's another question I had. I mainly do white crappie. Does anybody have white crappie replicas? I know there are some differences on black and white crappie.

13. Kenneth Baumann has some white crappies,when I said white version I should of said the black crappie replica that hasn't been darkened,

14. I’ve painted that 15” blank before. Which problems were you referring to on that fish?

15. The picture I got shows a flat spot behind the pectoral fin

16. Hmmm, I’ll have to take a look. I do know that the pockets could be a little deeper and there is a patch of scales on one side that look like they were altered in some way. I know that they were not altered though; they just grew that way. There are of course plenty of things that could be better, but that’s always going to be the case. I’ll look for a flat spot and make note of it; if or when it needs remolding, that could easily be fixed.

I will say that, unaltered (just painted), that exact blank won a state champion title, a blue ribbon in open division at the World Show, and a blue ribbon at the NTA in master’s division. None of the judges mentioned a flat spot, but of course, there are some other things that could be better too. I’ll look for that flat spot though, input and constructive critiques are always useful. Thanks.