1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Standing Waterfowl Wings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by crablover, Dec 24, 2019.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

What is everyone's method to get the proper wing set on standing ducks to get the side pocket feathers to lay correctly? wire, no wire,calk or not etc. Best method to get the side pocket feathers and wing to look natural? TIA

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Watch the Shane Smith video on MK's site.

magicmick and Wally Gator like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks Jason I'm pretty much computer illiterate, so no way I could figure out how to post that.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't do waterfowl, however, I will say that I use Shane's bodies for upland and turkey and they are outstanding. I always wire wings for all poses.

Gobblingfever and magicmick like this.
  5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Biggest thing is that your body needs to be exact, or for me I use a little smaller. I don't wire my wings. When you set the wings make sure you pull the side pocket skin down and the breast skin forward and you don't get anything pinched. If your body is too big, no matter what you do you won't be able to get the side pockets up and over the wing. You can also lift the wing and cut the "armpit" skin down the side to give you a little more to pull, but essentially, for me, it's using a slightly smaller body and then babysitting it as it firms up. I will also string up standing birds.

Gobblingfever and magicmick like this.
  6. crablover

thanks so much guys

WKT and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  7. crablover

Brooke,Thanks for your detailed reply. I was really looking for that kind of message rather than a video link, but thanks 3bears and Jason for posting that. I have watched tons of video's on waterfowl taxidermy, some terrible and some great. I was just curious as to the different ways TNET members do there's. I have tried just about every method there is as well as the many different foam bodies there are. However, I wrap my own bodies over using foam.. I use no wire in standing or swimming mounts and remove the upper wing bone as well Lock points are still made and the wing pinned until it is dry, Then, adab of hot glue under the wing and a hidden pin in the wrist. If anyone has other methods, please share. Thanks and Happy Holidays Lessar Scaup.png

BrookeSFD16 and goosehunter1733 like this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Shane explains it better than me, that is why I suggested the video. So does Brooke albeit a little different. The keys are to have a body that fits and a place for the wing bones to set and don't pinch any skin, where it doesn't belong. I tried not wiring the wings on a few mounts, I didn't like it because it made me feel like I was guessing on placement, so I went back to wiring them and use floral wire, on smaller birds and heavier annealed wire on things like geese and turkeys etc.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I had the same experience as 3bears on my upland birds.

10. Nice looking Scaup there Crablover!!! Happy Holidays

11. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I remember years ago at Stefan Savides place watching him mount birds. If the form fit well there was no tape or string wrapping done. He would shake it some and move the skin round Back brushed feathers and did a little “Fussing” with it. Wrong size form and you will have adjustment issues.

12. mike I

mike I New Member

Crablover, This forum offers a wealth of knowledge, with members giving advice, constructive criticism and sharing techniques. Just look at the responses to your post. In the spirit of that nature would mind sharing how you form woodduck eye rings with masters blend? You posted a picture of a woodduck last March stating you used pastels (for the bill) and masters blend(eye ring). I would really like to try that method. Thank you
    mike

Wildthings likes this.
  13. crablover

14. crablover

Mike, mix 3/4 of the amber MB, red side, with 1/4 of the clear, blue side, and a drop of lacquer paint of your color choice. Mix and pour into your rubber eye ring mold. Whn it gets semi set and is still flexible remove and press in your glass eye and let harden. I made my eye rings to mold with kids Sculpty Clay that you cure hard in the oven. Then made my silicon rubber molds from them Wooduck-Bill.jpg

Wildthings likes this.
  15. mike I

mike I New Member

Thank You very much for sharing. I appreciate it and will see what I can do.