1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discolored Hair

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by pir^2h, Dec 24, 2019.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I have a coyote I am wanting to mount but the hair is discolored on the underside on part of it. Any suggestions on how to make it look better?

IMG_2939.JPG

2. Jtown

Jtown Member

A taxidermied bighorn sheep came into the boss's shop one day for repair. It had been a window display for years and the sun bleached the fur on the front side of it. He hired a master colorer from one of the local beauty salons to dye/color the hair to match/reproduce the color on the backside. She didn't exactly mix/match the color to customer standards the first try where she tested a small patch on the backside but eventually got it right. I hope this helps.

pir^2h likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If your trying to get it white , get some basic white powder BW2 from the beauty salon supply store with a quart of 20 volume peroxide mix go a paste and using a popsicle stick paste layer it on , the longer it’s on the whiter it will get , just be careful. After desired color , shampoo out , I like main/tail shampoo and conditioner , u can get that from southern states or tractors supply but any shampoo will work.

pir^2h likes this.
  4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Thanks 13 point. I will go to the beauty supply tomorrow and get some.

Vic

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not an answer to your question, just a statement from my perspective. I always left it discolored if that was the way it was when it came in. Much easier do deal with that way and it was true to life for that animal.

6. PensivePronghorn

PensivePronghorn Member

I have a vixen skin that is discolored like this. I always thought it was staining from life on that white underbelly from laying down in the red clay we have here in SC, so I figured it would be best to leave it alone. The tip about the beauty supply may change my mind, and bleach her belly where she is stained reddish brown. Thanks!

7. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Agree with Tanglewood, thats how they are, can't get better than nature