1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Birds For Christmas And A Thank You

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hope Everyone is having a great Christmas and spending it with their families.

Thanks to this forum I have had the opportunity to mount some amazing birds that i otherwise would never have had the opportunity to practice on. Bob Jungman has been extremely generous over the last few years in gifting me numerous birds and just recently gifted me a beautiful canvasback that I am in the process of trying to complete. I have also been gifted a frew brants, a hooded merganser drake and some other birds by my old friend Brian several years back. Some turned out bad and others better but I can't thank everyone enough for their generosity.

Waterfowl season is basically over for me now where I am at and surprisingly my freezer is empty of practice birds. I still have a pile of mammals but the more I do taxidermy, the more I enjoy working on birds and have more or less gotten away from the mammal side of things. I don't like to beg for gifted birds but I don't have the funds at this point to purchase any game farmed birds and was wondering if anyone might have some extra birds in their freezers that they wouldn't mind gifting. I will cover all shipping costs of course. I am getting better slowly at birds, I just wasn't able to harvest as many birds in the later season as i hoped. I really don't care what kind of legal birds they are to be honest and I don't want anyone to go out of their way. But if you might have an extra bird in the freezer you are not going to use this season I would be grateful.

Have a great week and hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. Ill include a couple progress pics. The red breasted merganser was from about 2 years ago. I was so frustrated with it that it went from a flyign mount to a dead hanging mount. The Brant was my most recent. I somehow ended up with my wingset being too far back but I think i recognized my error and will correct it in the future. I was able to groom him much better than the merganser though. I am improving a little by little thanks to the kind folks on here providing me with a few birds to practice on.

Chris

Brant flying 2019.jpg red breasted merganser (2).JPG

2. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

There is a facebook page called "gifted birds for taxidermy". It a great place to find birds.

Trapper2016 likes this.

3. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hi Tom.

I appreciate that. I was told about that group several weeks agao and tried to join several times and never heard anything back. I don't know if its because I don't have many facebook friends or exactly what but I have had no luck getting into it.

But I apprecaite it Tom,
    Happy new year
    chris

Tom Mayer likes this.