1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Moose Mount, Bell Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by PensivePronghorn, Dec 26, 2019.

1. PensivePronghorn

PensivePronghorn Member

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread on which to pose this question, but I'm going to be mounting my first Shiras bull moose in the near future! The only question I have is about the bell...his is about 8 inches long from the wider waddle, but the mannikin only comes with a half dinner plate size place to place the waddle (or whatever is it called). Where do I affix the rest of the bell?!?! Do I just glue it together and let the piece hang down like on a live moose? Tips and pointers are much needed! Thanks!

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Drive a heavy wire into the form up into the antler block. Wrap the wire with string to proper thickness and sew the bell.

PensivePronghorn likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve always sewed bell closed, then when I mount it I push hide paste in and out then mix apoxeysculpt and push it to bottom shaping it to the hanging part of bell then I put as much critter clay as needed in on top of apoxeysculpt just before I tuck bottom lip . Then I glue and tuck lip and go back and shape and blend critterclay and apoxy and a push about a 3/16th wire up thru bell into form , I’ve left wire in and I’ve also pulled wire out after it’s dried . One way was no better then the other per say , but if the bell was really big I believe I’d leave wire in

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have limited exposure to moose, but on one that I mounted, I used a David Ellzey squirrel tail as an armature for the bell! It worked great!

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I treat them similar to a Bondo ear but run a wire or two through them