1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting/ Coloring Antlers Help

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by blindluck, Dec 27, 2019.

1. blindluck

blindluck Member

I am in the process of restoring a big set of chalked mule deer antlers. I chose to use water-based wood filler to smooth on the whole rack to fill in all the cracks which turned out great. Now here is my dilemma. I want to use tube oil paints thinned with lacquer thinner instead of acrylics this time. The problem I see and cannot figure out is that I need to seal the antler because the lacquer thinner will destroy the water based wood filler. I am having troubles finding a product that will seal the antlers and create a barrier between the lacquer thinner and the repaired Wood filled antler. Any insight on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

lampman likes this.
  2. brianmrusher

brianmrusher Member

Would a coat of modge podge drake it? I’m getting ready to try it and see if it works

3. blindluck

blindluck Member

Modge podge is water based, laquuer thinner will eat through it.

4. blindluck

blindluck Member

Another thought I wonder if there Could be another product to thin oil paints that won’t eat through the water based wood filler?

5. jimss

jimss Active Member

Use water based colored pencils! I know they work because I use them all the time on both fish reproductions and antlers. You can either draw lines in cracks and blend in with sponge or spunge larger areas with a damp paper towel where pencils are applied. The nice thing about pencils is you can wipe it off if you don't like what you see!

I combine different shades of pencils with super LIGHT coats of stain. I prefer more SUPER light coats over thick coats! I make a point of not getting any stain on white antler tips.

I've used a couple different colors of wood filler with the pencil and light stain combo with no problems! I use the stain as a sealer between coats. For chalky antlers I often smooth them down with steel wool. This often brings back a little shine to dull, chalky antlers. To me, this looks a lot more natural than super glossy antlers.

6. blindluck

blindluck Member

Would love to see some close ups of the antlers you have done.

7. blindluck

blindluck Member

I really want to use the oils like klaus and Erich carter use, their processes seems to be the closest to realistic of all the ways out there.

8. jimss

jimss Active Member

Here are before and after pics of a whitetail I did. whitetail brows close before.jpg whitetail close after.JPG

9. jimss

jimss Active Member

whitetail before.JPG whitetail after1(1).jpg Here's before and after pics of the entire rack. It's a little tough to see the detail.

10. point75

point75 Active Member

Dissolve clear latex/silicone caulk with equal parts of hot water. Mist on and let dry overnight.

11. jimss

jimss Active Member

I'm a little confused what this mixture is for?

12. point75

point75 Active Member

I was responding to the first question on the thread.

13. apache

apache 9-11 never forget

Old English scratch remover dark and light mixture and 0000 to tone down the gloss