1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why Do You Do Taxidermy

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 13 point, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Holy crap!! You really are a chick then!!!!

2. Lance.G

Lance.G Well-Known Member

I got into taxidermy to mount my own deer. Then went to a state show and caught the bug. I fell I love with studying fish and deer. I don’t really even hunt anymore. Never thought I’d say that. I do trout fish quite a bit in East Tennessee. I love trying to recreate nature. Gods work is amazing. There is no denying Gods work when you look close at his creations.

3. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

Me too !

3bears likes this.
  4. SterlingFoxCreations

SterlingFoxCreations New Member

I'm a biology student attending University looking for a way to combine my love of art and science into a career. I'm not sure if taxidermy will be my primary career, but from what I have done in my meager year and a half of taxidermy, I've learned to love it! It will definitely be a life long hobby of mine. I love taxidermy because I feel like it gives me a greater appreciation for the beauty of nature. I've always liked to understand how things work and learning taxidermy has given me the opportunity to get up close and personal with animals people may never even see in person. I love studying animals and animal behavior and by translating that knowledge into 3D sculptures that can last forever, I hope I can get others to love and appreciate nature even more.

On a side note, I'm grateful for my supportive veterinary student roommate tolerates me skinning squirrels in our bathroom sink!

Micah Howards and Lance.G like this.
  5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Not to be a "Negative Nancy", but unless you get into a high end shop (not gonna happen with your limited experience) your best bet is to just do the taxidermy gig part-time, get a real job with good pay and benefits. Build the taxidermy business. There might be a handful on here that will disagree, but you're certainly never going to make up the cost of your degree with taxidermy income! Student loans? Plus, I think those that do it part-time have more fun. Things can get pretty repetitive after many years of doing this and it can be a challenge to challenge yourself further! JMO of course...

6. SterlingFoxCreations

SterlingFoxCreations New Member

I agree. That's why I said I'm not sure if it will be my primary career. I think I'd honestly prefer it as a hobby since I will be able to enjoy it in my own time rather than trying to rush to get things done in a shop.

FishArt and drob like this.
  7. As a 7 year old we lived in the country, east central Mn., and every bird or animal that was shot or found dead naturally began to spoil and the eyes sunk into the skull. That was just the way it was until Dad took me into a small gun shop in town and wow, there were birds and animals in there that were dead but they did not rot and I was fascinated by their wonderful glass eyes that looked so alive. I was also fascinated by Green head mallards and that is why I wanted to be a Taxidermist, to mount them and other beautiful birds. Ironically, until recently, most of my mounts were fish and deer heads. Am now finally doing the ducks that got it all started. Thank God for the Northwestern School of Taxidermy, the only place at the time that a then 12 yr. old from a poor family could start to learn Taxidermy. I was on cloud nine when that free book arrived from Omaha.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    FishArt, Micah Howards and joeym like this.
  8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Taxidermy was always our "extra money" when I had a real job. I was an Agricultural Scientist for 30 years. I took the Northwestern School of Taxidermy mail order course as a kid in 1970, then progressed to videos in the 80's to learn more. After retirement in 2005, I got serious about taxidermy. My little business took in around 600 specimens annually. Our youngest son came to work with me, and after 4 years, took a taxidermy job in Texas. Maybe I can retire now!

9. I am a glutton for punishment

10. I always feel a little beat up during a mounting session, I don't do a lot any more, and just am never quite satisfied with my results.

drob likes this.
  11. As I said before location will determine alot too,Do you have a client base in your area that will support your bills,and health insurance,Alot of full time guys have a wife who works a regular job and they use her insurance and benefits,If your single it's one more consideration on the income you will need.And figure in luxury too,if you only eat ,sleep and do taxidermy ,burn out is headed your way.