1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Do They Get Them Back So Fast?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AlanCoderre, Dec 28, 2019.

1. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I own a skull cleaning business in PA called Premium Skull Works. I do well as far as the amount of skulls I get in a year. I see people online in the Facebook community post pics of their deer online and then short time later they have another pic posted online of their Euro mount back from the taxidermist. How in the world to they get the grease out of the skulls so fast and back to the customer? I degrease by a heated insulated tank and each skull goes into a 5 gal bucket full of Dawn and sometime ammonia. I have the water heated between 115 and 120 degrees and I do water changes all the time. I am not sure if I am too picky about the grease in the skull or if I am doing something wrong. If I see any sign of grease back in the tank it goes. Does anyone see anything I am doing wrong and should I change anything? Or am I just to picky? I just want to ensure that people get a quality mount back and not something that is going to yellow on them.

msestak likes this.
  2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

My son and I have only been doing this for the public for 2 years. We’ve learned from this site there’s no shortcut for degreasing. But I, like you, see it all the time on Facebook and even know someone that does deer skulls in 3 days. They look good to me and he has a lot of reviews and repeat customers over the years. I’m not really sure his process.
    We jus started maceration instead of simmering and the skulls don’t seem to be as greasy. We do the same as you heated water 115-120 with dawn and ammonia for usually 1-3 weeks most of the time 2 weeks seems to work. In tutorials there is a post on 5hr euro check it out. You’ll get a lot of great advice here. Welcome

msestak likes this.

3. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I have been doing this for 8 or 9 years now but it just blows my mind to see people get the skulls back so fast. It does take me a little longer just because the bugs can only eat so fast so it does take time. I do not have people breathing down my neck to get their stuff back but I am afraid that I am going to because of how fast turn around is with others. I just don't see how they get the grease out that fast . Michael P's 5 hour euro seems like it would work just would be really messy lol.

msestak likes this.
  4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

Yeah around here it takes about a year to get a shoulder mount back. That doesn’t seem to bother them. But A lot of people that drop their skulls off want it back in a week or two but our turnaround is usually 4-5 weeks.
    How long do you normally degrease?

msestak likes this.
  5. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

Each one is different. I swear it depends on what the deer was eating and what part of the start it was shot in. I have had them take 2 weeks I have had them take 2 months to get it all out.

msestak likes this.
  6. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

Now I am really picky and if I see even the smallest sign of grease it goes back in

msestak likes this.
  7. Jaegerbones

Jaegerbones New Member

Don't sweat it man. My guess is many of these guys get fast turnaround rate bc of boil and bleach method. There may not look like there's grease but the grease has seeped into the bone and will show up a year later with vengeance and will be a pain in the ads to get out and it shows. Yours may take longer but you're beating them on quality. I do think ammonia or acetone will work a little better without compromising bone integrity as long as they're diluted properly. I could see a real fat corn fed buck being greasier than a leaner one eating grass and acorns.

msestak likes this.
  8. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

They are all corn fed deer around me lol.

msestak likes this.
  9. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

What’s your process to check for grease? Do you let it dry for a few days?

msestak likes this.
  10. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I take out and let dry for a few days so I can get a good check. Sometime I can just tell that it is going to have grease in it after a day. Usually I have a fan blowing on them as well to help with the drying process.

msestak and Tnrandy like this.
  11. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    I've tried different methods but I've done a pile by pressure washing most of the meat off, brains and eyes out and simmering in water and 1 cup of borax. I have ones I've done years ago that look great today, no grease.

msestak likes this.
  12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Deer in the Pine Belt of the south don't seem to have as much grease as northern "Corn Belt" deer. People want a rapid turn-around, and to comply, simmering and rapid whitening are a must. Most customers don't give 2 farts about the skull yellowing a bit with time...it's the antlers that capture their attention. Had a guy leave a skull with me to put on a panel that had "24 hour turnaround" from a Texas taxidermist. The invoice was attached to the antlers...$275.00. The customer was happy, and I'm sure the taxidermist was happy.

13. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Member

You power wash before simmering? We’ve never tried that.

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Short answer is, is that they don't. I can do this too. Skull will look great for a year, maybe even less. Then the deeper grease will start working it's way to the surface. Give it several years and it's going to start looking like crap. If someone was dumb enough to paint over the grease, the paint will now start to bubble, discolor and peel off. Grease works it's way to the surface, yellows, attracts and holds dust and dirt and will also grow mold. Nasty, nasty nasty. Some folks don't care and just want to stare at antlers and hang it on the garage wall where they don't care what really happens to it after a year or so when they lose interest.

I have had deer be done in a month. I have had them take 4 months. Each is an individual and nothing goes out the door till it's done. It has my name and my reputation on it. You can eat off a skull I do when I give it back to you and 10 years later it looks no different and isn't grossing out anyone looking at it. People see my stuff at someones house and want to know who did it. They come to me and, not only do I tell them up front how long it will take, they also sign a contract stating the same. I have an older simmered and whitened skull on display sitting next to one of my own. A potential customer can see the difference time makes. I have yet to have anyone ask me to do a 3 day skull.

BrookeSFD16 and AlanCoderre like this.
  15. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    I take out eyes,brain, and alot of the meat. Maybe 5 minutes each.

16. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    Like Joey said these deer in the south dont seem to have this problem. Even if they did, 10 yrs later they dont give a crap. You come in Monday with one, you can come back wednesday for it.

17. 15pt

15pt Member

Alabama
    You simmer one in borax, then simmer one without it and the difference is big.

18. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

Well I am glad I am not the only one who cares about the grease. I tell everyone that I do take longer then others and I explain why and what the process is. I also tell them that if they ever see yellow come out of their skull to bring it back and I will deal with the issue for free. My name is on every skull that goes out the door and I would like to keep my reputation intact. I guess I need to stop worrying and just do what I do. I try to keep them plugging along but bugs only eat so fast and grease only comes out so fast. Does anyone have more then one deer in the same bucket at the same time?

19. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

To degrease fast , after bugs or-boil wash skull in very hot dawn bath and rinse then soak in Coleman fuel bath for bout 2 days , make sure it is submerged and there are no air pockets inside brain cavity. Wash again in hot dawn bath and rinse, I then wrap rack in black bag strips and let dry in sun then whiten . 95% of the time 2 days works if i see a grease spot after it dries in the sun I put it back in the Coleman fuel for 2 more days then whiten . Works great , can be a little expensive , and Coleman fuel does evaporate but can be reused.

20. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Its a balance, you can keep a skull for 6 months and get it perfect or get it back in a decent time frame and throw the disclaimer out about grease. All my heads go back with the if it yellows bring it back guarantee. I do a fair amount of skulls and to keep them till perfect would shut my business down and kill me so you have to meet in the middle.

HuntersUnion, 15pt and 3bears like this.