1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reasons To Hate Taxidermy...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joeym, Dec 29, 2019.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Had a friend relate this story to me:

Several years ago, he and his wife were headed out the door for dinner and a movie. The phone rang, and this guy said he had a deer he really needed to bring over to mount. My friend explained that he and his wife were leaving, but they would wait a few minutes if he would come on. Well, time passed, and his wife said she would fix something to eat, since the dinner-out option had passed. An hour after the call, the customer showed up with a massive deer, that was frozen. Upon inspection, it was noted that the forehead had been sawed through, in an attempt to remove the antlers. My friend asked what that was all about. The guy said that after they had talked, he decided that $250 was more than he was willing to pay to mount the deer, and was in his driveway sawing off the antlers when a neighbor showed up and told him he was crazy for not having the deer mounted. So, he decided to bring it on anyway. Oh lawd, my friend was so pi$$ed that he had to really contain himself. This guy had ruined an evening outing for him and his wife, and didn't even have the courtesy to call and notify that he had a change of mind. My friend told him that the $250 would be up front if he wanted it mounted. The guy reluctantly paid the full price and left. Upon completion, the customer came after his deer and noticed a gaping gash across the forehead of his deer. My friend had not attempted to repair it, but actually accentuated it. The customer became furious, and my friend told him to take his deer, never come back, and every time he looked at it and saw that gash, to remember what an inconsiderate dumba$$ he was!!!

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

i think the customers burn us out and make us hate the vocation. The work is very relaxing except the customer part.

George, swampfox2, msestak and 4 others like this.

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Well I can sympathize with your friend! After 30 years of doing this crap and having the business at my house I have had everything you can do with a wife messed up by idiots not showing up or showing up unexpected! :mad:

4. swampfox2

swampfox2 Well-Known Member

In a perfect world we would all have a business downtown with set hours for customers to come in with their hatchet jobs then put the closed sign on the door at the set hour for closing, pull the curtains and work in the back as long as we want. Go home and return at opening time. No more home phone calls at any hour, no dropping by the house at any hour. Peace when you close up. That's in a perfect world but mine has never been perfect.

5. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

I had that happened enough I wouldn't have waited. I work another job now, but thinking back the worst one I can remember is being awaken at 430am by my jack russel barking crazy at the basement steps, I went down to see 15 Amish men standing in my basement wanting to drop 6 bears off before they went hunting that day. I forgot to lock the door.

The 26 the day after Christmas this year, (well it's last year now), my dispatcher called at 430am to be to work at 6am. I really would sooner get up at 430 to work on bears than my new job, but this has all the benefits.

Micah Howards, msestak and drob like this.
  6. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I've had my supper ruined so many times it's hard to keep up. Told one the other day I was about to eat, how long did he think he'd be. He said 5 min, I said come on I'll wait. Shows up hr later saying they decided to stop and grab some food. I can guarantee he'll be a problem picking his mount up!!!!!!!

tem, Micah Howards, Glenn M and 2 others like this.
  7. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

With a business like taxidermy it isn't like you can just tell the customer to wait until Monday to drop off their deer. Many don't have a freezer to store it in so what then? They bring you a stinking head that has already spoiled and slipping. That's the breaks of the business along with slow pickups, etc.

Take comfort in knowing that many who have a home based business has the same problems! I had an electronics repair shop out of my four car garage (now my taxidermy hobby shop) and I had all the same issues. Customers refusing to honor business hours, going around my gate that clearly said I was closed, holidays drop by's and phone calls, saying they were coming and didn't, slow pickups and just dealing with them in general. Years later they were still coming by asking me if I knew ""my phone was out of order!"

8. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I dont care if someone comes at midnight, just be there when you say you will!

George, Ron B, tem and 3 others like this.
  9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

other services have after hour rates....just saying :)

tem and Micah Howards like this.
  10. swampfox2

Once I took a head in and told the guy it would be 6 wks before I could even touch it. He was ok with that and left the deposit and went home. I get a call two weeks later on a Saturday night/ early Sunday morning from him wanting to know if it was ready. He was very drunk and slurring his words. I reminded him I had told him six weeks before I could begin to work on it. At this point I was getting pizzed off so I told him just to come by a get his head and deposit. Oh no he said I want you to mount the deer ! I said one more call at 2:30 in the morning and you'll have to pick it up and take it to someone else. I'll call when it is ready. I got it done a week early and called. His brother came to pick it up with his hat in his hand apologizing for his brother's behavior. His brother was a very good guy. I told him I wouldn't mount anything else for his brother and to tell him so.

tem, pir^2h, msestak and 1 other person like this.
  11. My final straw for having shop at the house., besides all that been mentioned allready.
    Its midday on a Sunday, drive way, yard and street has some 40 plus cars parked out front.
    Behind the house guest are seated out side in there best duds. Waiting for the event they came for. Luckily it was still about a hour before it was to start. I was giving my oldest daughter away. Yea a wedding!!
    About this time two guys come dragging a deer head around the house right up in a mist of it all. They got half way before. It clicked in their skulls, hey something is going on here. Both had a little to much to drink. They appoligized, but if it had just been about 45 min. Later My daughter would. Still be pissed.

Biggest reason to hate taxidermy for me is. For three months (deer season) it's almost impossible to go any place at all.
    And if you do slip off the cell phones starts ringing. With I need to drop off.
    You can actually miss Wallmart after a 3 month vacation from it. Lol

tem, swampfox2, msestak and 1 other person like this.
  12. swampfox2

Another thing, if you decide you need a day away from it and go fishing or hunting you feel guilty for not being in the shop working and don't enjoy yourself as much as you should.

Richard C, msestak, aussiesam and 2 others like this.
  13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I made an appointment for someone to bring in something, I would call if they were 15 minutes late. If they answered, we'd work it out, if not, I left a message that I would be leaving the shop and closing in 15 min. Once they were 1/2 hr late I called again to see if they were close if no answer I would leave a message that I was no longer at shop and they would have make another appointment. If they answered, we would work it out.

I always made appointments with someone so that I had nothing going on for at least an hour during that time.

If I had something going on I told them not today and gave them storage options until they could bring it by and if it had to be done right now, I would give them another taxidermists number. I never had slack time in the shop, so I never needed to pander to a customer.

George, msestak and pir^2h like this.
  14. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I have also always tried to make an exception on kids deer for Christmas. Say deer was killed early enough I've had people ask if I could push it up they would like to give it for Christmas. This year I made this deal for 4 parents and had them done weeks early and none picked them up.

Wally Gator, pir^2h, tem and 2 others like this.
  15. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I offer that for 5 youth deer a year , by Christmas at normal cost , if not picked up by Christmas then I add a $150 rush fee to ticket . I explain that to them and never had an issue

George, pir^2h, Richard C and 3 others like this.
  16. swampfox2

They must have wanted a new I pad or Apple Watch.

msestak likes this.
  17. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Your not dealing with South Alabama rednecks lol.

msestak likes this.
  18. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Just sorry ass parents is all.

msestak likes this.
  19. Ron B

Alabama
    That crap pisses me off to no end!!

msestak likes this.
  20. Ron B

Alabama
    I swear to God that is not an exaggeration! I had to go the other day and I marveled as i walked around the store feeling like: "dam....is this how all other people live"!:confused:

msestak likes this.