1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Buck Cape

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by rcrouse4, Dec 31, 2019.

1. rcrouse4

rcrouse4 New Member

Brand new to taxidermy. Looking for a whitetail buck cape to use for first mount for school. The antlers are off a 3.5 year old 125 inch buck to give you a reference of what size range cape would look best. This buck was killed in southern Illinois. Tanned or not is fine depending on condition and how it’s been stored. Thanks!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Depends on time of year your trying to show , 125 class buck in September would be 19” neck slim short hair . If killed in the rut , could be a 21-23 rut neck with longer hair . If it was me I’d look for a 20” mid season cape , the main thing to worry bout is the burr pockets of the antlers, if it replacement cape came from a deer that had big bases at burr and you antlers are small , it won’t work, as the distance on top of head between burrs won’t touch or cover your antlers

3. rcrouse4

rcrouse4 New Member

Definitely something I hadn’t thought about as a rookie. Thanks for that heads up.

4. LastShot

LastShot Member

We have some 19 though 22 tanned. 125.00 plus shipping let us know the size if interested all Harvested in November in South Dakota thanks (605) 840-2179

5. rcrouse4

rcrouse4 New Member

What kind of condition are your 22s in. I’d be interested.

6. Tony Rust

Tony Rust New Member

I have a frozen cape from 3-year old taken in northern Wisconsin. Bases under the burr is 1-1/2 inches across. Dark top and long hair, 23 inches 3 inches below ears. Sorry about deer carcass on floor.

Attached Files:

7. hillenbrands

hillenbrands Member

I have a 7 1/4 x 19 cape that is frozen from a November, midwest whitetail. $50 plus shipping. Let me know if you are interested. 440-759-9899