1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Replica Walleyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Gusm, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Trying my first replica walleye I heard or read about blacking out the fish with black or black green what is the best method for doing this? What do you use to wipe or lightly sand the paint off and yet leave paint in the scale grooves?
    Thanks!! Gus

2. I use black&dark brown 50/50 thinned down 30% then use fine steel wool on upper 2/3 of body

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    0000 steel wool

4. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Do you spray the lower body also or just the upper 2/3

5. I wipe it on with a soft cloth just upper

6. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Thanks guys!

7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

this should give you an idea:

8. Gusm

Gusm New Member

Perfect! Thanks!

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I didn't have the sound on the video but it looks like they're using Denatured Alcohol on the rag. I've done that sometimes depending on how large the fish is and it's quick and easy.

But, I usually prefer steel wool vs solvents because I can control things better with steel wool. And I can get my fish antiqued more evenly. I mostly come over the top with my initial paint shooting downward and letting it blend out at the belly/side. Don't know if it matters too much but I try to make things as "evenly" as possible with your antiquing paint. Not blotchy (Usually. Some species like Sauger it couldn't hurt!) Again, just the way I do things to have more control over the end result. Sometimes you have to shoot from the side to get the lower areas. I think in most cases you'd want your initial paint a little darker than in this video. JMO but I think it adds more depth and you can steel wool it off easily and/or add paint later if need be. You only get one shot at laying down your antiquing paint! These are a few things I do a little differently from the video. For another perspective for you to ponder... Good luck.

msestak and Cecil like this.