1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Touching Up Antler Bases

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Devin Stephen, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Devin Stephen

Devin Stephen New Member

What is everyone doing to touch up those antler bases? Have used the search function with not many results and most were several years old.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I use oil base paste dark brown, put on and wipe off , longer you leave it on the darker it will be . I like it because low spots stay dark and high spots are lighter as they should be as you wipe it off . Fast and efficient, one tube goes a long way

Tnrandy and Devin Stephen like this.

3. AlanCoderre

AlanCoderre Member

I use minwax stain. For the bases I use dark walnut and for everything else I use golden oak. Start with the golden oak and then use the walnut on top of it. I hold the skull upside down and apply with a q-tip. It works great and if you hold it upside down you don't risk staining the skull. Just put it on and wipe off the excess. The longer it sits the darker it gets.

Devin Stephen likes this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Only a few years back? Need to find the posts going all the way back to 2006 :). The Advanced Search will give you better results but you have to keep playing with it. Pick what forum you want to search in .. like .. Tutorials. Try different search words "coloring antlers" "restaining antlers" "recoloring antlers" "staining antlers" etc. Each term will give you different results. There are some really good and informative posts on here about how to do it.

And ditto on doing the work upside down. At least make sure your entire skull is saran wrapped or otherwise taped off to protect the skull. One drip on the bone and your nightmare will start in trying to get it all off.

5. Devin Stephen

Devin Stephen New Member

This is the exact process I’m using now as well just wanted to see what everyone else was doing. I ordered some oil base paints and an going to experiment on some old sheds I have laying around. Always staining upside down!

Dale Loescher likes this.
  6. Devin Stephen

Devin Stephen New Member

Real
    Really liking the results from the oil base paints. Are you sealing them with anything after they dry?

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No sir , found it not to be nessasarry , but when I did I just misted on a mat finish

Devin Stephen likes this.
  8. BBCS

BBCS New Member

A local taxidermist show me his trick for touching up antler bases recently and I think it works pretty good. Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker. It comes in all the colors a person could want, is self contained, and has its own q-tip!

HuntersUnion and Devin Stephen like this.