1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2 Month Old Head

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tnrandy, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

My son had a customer drop off a whitetail head that had been hanging for almost 2 months...needless to say it was nasty and stinky!!! The skin was so tight he could not skin it...we soaked it overnight in water but that didn't really seem to help...

Can we just drop the entire head, skin and all, into our maceration tank? If so, how long will it take to clean considering it has all the skin still on it...our normal time for a skinned, eyes and brain removed and trimmed whitetail is about 6-7 days.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Try soaking for a couple of days to see if you can get the hide off and the brains out. Wear gloves when working with this one. You can macerate it with the hide on and brains and eyes all in, untrimmed but it is going to take longer and stink really bad. You will also have to change out the water more because so much rot going on is going to rapidly use up all the oxygen in the water. It will still rot but now it will also turn black (fixable) and you will be dealing with a lot of extra rotted goo and hair/chunks of foul nasty unmentionable bits to dispose of. Not sure how long it will take as I have never done one like this. I hope you told him there will be an extra charge for dealing with this. On my contract, I have a $50 extra charge for improperly stored/cared for heads. No excuse for someone handing you a head full of rot and maggots to deal with.

3. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Ok...it's been soaking for a couple days now...he's going to pull it out and see if he can get the skin off, if not the only option I see is total maceration and dealing with the extra mess, smell and work. He didn't charge more for this one...still trying to get established, but will at some point I'm sure.
    Thanks

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I have some sit for months at a time, just give it a soak and check it will begin to macerate but you will eventually find that in between point where you can get the hide off and then finish the rot or bug it or boil it at that point.

Tnrandy likes this.
  5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Dog, you need to put up some more brag pictures of your shop and the amount of stuff you work on. :)

Tnrandy likes this.